Katie Fitzgerald's Reviews > Princess Posey and the Perfect Present

2281988
Oct 16, 2011

bookshelves: level-chapter-books, genre-realistic-fiction
Read in October, 2011

Posey is well into her first-grade year, and she adores her teacher, Miss Lee. When Miss Lee announces that her birthday is coming up, each student in the class wants to bring her a present. Posey decides fresh garden flowers will be the perfect gift, but changes her mind quickly when she sees that a friend of hers bought a huge bouquet from a florist. Determined to make Miss Lee like her the most, she puts on her tutu to become Princess Posey, in the hopes of solving her problem.

There is one word I desperately try to avoid in my reviews, and that word is "cute." I was taught in library school that this word should be banned from book reviews and blurbs, and have managed to avoid it pretty successfully since. But it's really hard to hold back in the face of the Princess Posey books. Because they are adorable! From the illustrations, to the sparkly cover, to those wonderful floral chapter headings, I am just in love with this series. Posey is a sweet, sensitive little girl, and her stories take me right back to first grade, and all the milestones and obstacles encountered during that exciting year.

This particular book appeals to me for a number of reasons.

I love the focus on the different connotations of the word silly. "The girls in Posey's class said the word silly all the time. Sometimes it meant "funny." Other times it meant "babyish." I think early elementary school is the first time kids start to be cruel to one another, and to point out things like acting babyish or being a crybaby or things like that, and I thought that one line showed such great insight into the minds of six-year-olds.

I also really liked that Posey, though sweet, is not depicted as a perfect little princess. Rather, she is quite nasty to her friend when she realizes the friend has a fancier gift for their teacher. Still, though, she is also the kind of little girl who wants to see her mom when something goes wrong, and feels most comfortable talking things over with her. I think that is the exact reaction many girls this age would have in Posey's situation, and it's also a comforting thought, that your mom can help you fix anything.

Another thing I noticed as I was reading was how carefully the author must have selected the characters' names. They're a diverse bunch, but each name is short and simple enough that it would be pretty easy to sound out. The ones that caught my eye were Ava, Nikki, Luca, Gramps, and Miss Lee. I also loved the way the text in the word "Whoosh!" is jumbled into a whooshing motion in the scene where Posey uses her wand to help her grandpa's flowers grow. What a creative way to help kids understand the meaning of a word they may never have seen in print before.

Fans of Fancy Nancy, Pinkalicious, and other princesses will love getting to know Posey. I'm sure her appeal will be mainly for girls, but if not for the pink covers, I think boys would see a lot of themselves in Posey as well. Any boy who has ever worn a superhero cape to feel powerful will at least understand her attachment to her tutu.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Princess Posey and the Perfect Present.

12/17/2016 marked as: read-2011