Miranda Reads's Reviews > Inside the Magic: The Making of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

Inside the Magic by Ian Nathan

bookshelves: 2018-popsugar-reading-challenge

I went into this book as a long time Harry Potter fan and tentative Fantastic Beasts fan... and emerged brimming with excitement and intrigue for this series.

For a fact, I hate change, so it goes without saying, the more I heard about the Harry Potter reboot, the more I dug my heels in. Set in the US? No Hogwarts? No more calling them muggles? Sign me out.

Even when I saw the movie, while I loved the fantastic beasts part, I was confused by the subplots (the election, the new Salemers, etc). Ergo, I was pleasantly surprised upon picking up this book to discover how everything fit perfectly in its place. Only by reading about the movie did I come to truly treasure this expansion.

The level of detail is just incredible. They completely recreated New York in the 1920s as a blocks-long set. Every wand had its place, every costume was designed to the last button and even the documents (i.e. Tina's MACUSA ID card) were appropiately filled out.

Even the actors were surprised. One actor accidentally got ink on his hands because someone actually filled the inkwell prop. Another actor commented on how he opened a few drawers to discover newspapers - with magic themed headlines and articles - filling the space. This is something that the cameras would never even see.

My only complaints are that we don't really get to the beasts until the last chapter, and even then they are only given 10 or so pages. I am willing to bet that a whole book could've been written in how they were made and characterized. And that everyone was too positive - I would've liked to learn more about the struggles overcome rather than only the successes.

PopSugar 2018 Reading Challenge: A book you borrowed or that was given to you as a gift

Blog | Instagram | Twitter

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Inside the Magic.

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Jaline (new)

Jaline Great review, Miranda! It's something I don't do enough of - read about how certain films were made. This sounds interesting, for sure. :)

Miranda Reads It was fun to see just how much effort went into the movie - when I watch a movie, I don't often pay too much attention to the set or the clothes (unless something looks out of place). I think I'll be paying closer attention from now on :)