Celia's Reviews > Spinning Silver

Spinning Silver by Naomi Novik

Aug 06, 2018

liked it
bookshelves: 2018-books, fairytale, fantasy

** spoiler alert ** A very loose retelling/story inspired by Rumpelstilskin (and probably other fairy tales.) Things I loved - the scenery, the style, the writing, and lots of the early bits with Wanda, the servant who was my favourite character. Things I dislike - there were just a few too many viewpoint characters, I think. And the main thing I disliked was the fact that the two men who are raging evil arsehole for, ooh, 90% of the book, are redeemed into husbands for two of the characters by the end. Yes, fairytale retelling, I know, but couldn't it retell or be subversive about that aspect of fairytales too?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spinning Silver.

January 3, 2018 – Shelved
January 3, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
Started Reading
July, 2018 – Finished Reading
August 6, 2018 – Shelved as: 2018-books
August 6, 2018 – Shelved as: fantasy
August 6, 2018 – Shelved as: fairytale

message 1: by Lexy (new) - added it

Lexy Noooo I was really looking forward to this one!! My dismay is based on your 3 Star rating, I haven’t read the spoilery review

Celia Lexy wrote: "Noooo I was really looking forward to this one!! My dismay is based on your 3 Star rating, I haven’t read the spoilery review"

Lots of it is good! I would recommend it anyway because it is lovely writing, and some parts are gorgeous. I was just disappointed by certain ways it went, but you might not be - I've seen lots of people who loved it.