Rebecca Rosenberg's Reviews > The Secret Life of Mrs. London

(Review from the author)
bookshelves: biographical-historical-fiction, best-sellers, historical-fiction
Read 2 times

The Secret Life of Mrs. London

FREE on Prime and kindle unlimited!

#2 WIKI Marvelous Novels of 20th Century!
2018 BEST NEW NOVEL Center for Fiction nomination!

On the surface, The Secret Life of Mrs. London is about the love triangle between the Houdinis and Londons, but many themes begged to be explored throughout.

--Must you be faithful when marital needs are never met?
--How do you live with the demands of a mercurial genius?
--When are words of love not enough?
--When is friendship stronger than passion?

Charmian London was a force of nature, a horsewoman, swimmer, pianist, painter, writer. And typist and editor of the most popular writer of their times. Remember, however that it was 1915. Women would not get the right to vote for another five years. These women were pushing to expand the boundaries of women's roles, while still trying to break out of the cast-iron mold of Victorian women. Charmian was known for her free-loving spirit, but having read her diaries, some of that was an act to keep the great Jack London interested. Many of Jack London's female characters were fashioned from Charmian. As he writes in "Martin Eden" :

“Here was intellectual life, he thought, and here was beauty, warm and wonderful as he had never dreamed it could be. He forgot himself and stared at her with hungry eyes. Here was something to live for, to win to, to fight for—ay, and die for. The books were true. There were such women in the world. She was one of them. She lent wings to his imagination, and great, luminous canvases spread themselves before him whereon loomed vague, gigantic figures of love and romance, and of heroic deeds for woman’s sake—for a pale woman, a flower of gold. And through the swaying, palpitant vision, as through a fairy mirage, he stared at the real woman, sitting there and talking of literature and art. He listened as well, but he stared, unconscious of the fixity of his gaze or of the fact that all that was essentially masculine in his nature was shining in his eyes.”

― Jack London, Martin Eden

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret Life of Mrs. London.

Finished Reading
September 1, 2016 – Started Reading (Kindle Edition)
September 22, 2017 – Shelved (Kindle Edition)
January 3, 2018 – Shelved as: biographical-histor... (Kindle Edition)
January 3, 2018 – Shelved as: historical-fiction (Kindle Edition)
January 3, 2018 – Shelved as: best-sellers (Kindle Edition)
January 3, 2018 – Shelved
January 3, 2018 – Shelved as: biographical-historical-fiction
January 3, 2018 – Shelved as: best-sellers
January 3, 2018 – Shelved as: historical-fiction
January 4, 2018 – Finished Reading (Kindle Edition)

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)

Marialyce Just downloaded this one. So happy to see your review, Rebecca!

books4life i loved every page, great job and keep writing. about the story of baby doe what sparked your interest in baby doe?
(i saw the book on your website)

Rebecca Rosenberg Hi books 4 life, Thanks for the kudos! You already read it? WoW! I would so appreciate your Goodreads review!

So, are you from Colorado, since you know Baby Doe Tabor? I'm hoping that book will be published next year--- it actually was my first novel, which I put it aside to write THE SECRET LIFE OF MRS. LONDON.

I grew up in Colorado, and went to CU. What Colorado girl doesn't love the story of Baby Doe? ;-)

If you'd like to be a "first reader" (trust me it's in great shape!) email me. rebecca@rebecca-rosenberg.com

books4life No ,i am not from Colorado, im from Illinois. i love history and baby doe tabor is a really good story how she went from rags to riches then back to rags.

Rebecca Rosenberg YES, great story. Let me know if you want to read. ;-) MATCHLESS!

books4life sure i will let you know. thank you so much.

message 7: by Gil (new) - added it

Gil Harris I have the book, it's my next read, can't wait.

Donna I really liked this one !

Rebecca Rosenberg 5 stars! Yahoo! Thanks, Donna! Can you post your review on Amazon? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072KRP7MN

It helps get it in front of more reader's eyes! Thank you!
Rebecca

message 10: by Gil (new) - added it

Gil Harris Read it and loved it, what should I read next?