Sarah's Reviews > The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert A. Heinlein

Oct 16, 2011

(My reviews aren't intended to recap the story. You can read the book jacket for that. The spoilers are here by accident, only because I felt I wanted to comment on this or that aspect of the story. It's really just my random thoughts.)

Loved the actor who did the audio on this one. He did a great job differentiating all the characters and maintaining the various accents. Quite a challenge in this book!

This is one of those classics of sci-fi that was on my long list to read until the other member of my Super Secret Book Club suggested it. I would probably have never gotten to it otherwise so I'm glad he brought it up. I read a bunch of early Heinlein as a kid and thoroughly enjoyed him back then.

I had a little bit of a hard time knowing what to make of this. Sometimes I felt like I was reading instructions for mounting a revolution. And sometimes it felt like Heinlein's opinion on how a free society could operate. A truly free society, that is. And I really couldn't figure out what he was trying to say about marriage.

It was a little annoying that he introduced the Wymoming character and then promptly moved her to the backseat rather than letting her stay a strong character in the frontlines. But I suppose all the characters were, to an extent, fairly typical archetypes. Once they fulfilled their role, they weren't needed.

What I really found curious was what Heinlein didn't forsee. I mean, the computer PRINTS OUT stuff on paper for Manuel. Really? I would normally say that Roddenberry isn't someone to go to for solid sci-fi. It's more space fantasy. But in the area of seeing the future of technology, I have to say I was unimpressed with what Heinlein didn't come up with, especially compared to Roddenberry. I did, though, appreciate that he did attempt to address the various limitations of space travel. I don't like assumed gravity on board the vehicle in space travel.

This is worth reading, but more so for the person who considers themselves a serious sci-fi reader. If you are just dabbling in the genre, or in Heinlein, try Time For the Stars instead.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Moon is a Harsh Mistress.