Atheinne's Reviews > The Phantom's Apprentice

The Phantom's Apprentice by Heather  Webb
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
74947685
's review

liked it
bookshelves: netgalley, 2018

**I received an e-copy of this book from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review**

I love classics despite the fact that I've only read a few. There is something precious in those books that you just have to read them. Now, here's a retelling of a book I've only seen as a movie and apparently led me to rewatch it and boy, I seriously can't remember how many times I've replayed the song "Think of Me"!

The Phantom's Apprentice is a retelling of The Phantom of the Opera that was written in first person and narrated by Christine Daaé. Wanting to fulfill what her father hopes her to be, Christine became a part of the opera's chorus and pushed away what she wants to be: an illusionist. It wasn't long before her voice got recognized and she became the understudy of the Prima Donna, Carlotta. As she improved her music with the Angel of Music guiding her, greater things loom around the corner, things that will challenge her wit in decisions that needs deciding.

This is a story that closely resembles the original book with its own twists and I am torn on whether I should give this book a rating of two stars or three stars. The parts I enjoyed much were on the latter 20% of the book which puts the other 80% as uninteresting. I also feel that the synopsis was directed to that 20%. So I have no idea what to make of the other parts of the book. Also, the story was slow-paced, but I really didn't mind that.

The synopsis had mentioned the word illusion, which I found intriguing and wanted to read it. Actually, the title is appealing too, and so does the cover. I looked at it and thought, "wow, this looks like a good meal for my book-hungry mind". I love illusions and sleight of hands but there was little amount of it and I feel...depraved? Cheated? I don't know, but it wasn't what I hoped the story to be.

The few last chapters, though, was INCREDIBLE. I could say that those were the part that I felt unique in this retelling. The events during the masquerade ball was well done and I think that that was my favourite scene. I loved the twist that the author brought in over there! From that moment on, I enjoyed the rest of the story until the end.

While there was that so-near-yet-so-far romance, it was okay at times, but was mostly unappealing. It didn't click well with me.

Overall, it was a good story but for me, I think it could have been better. A book that I recommend to those who indulges in retelling (like I do) of classic stories, music lovers, readers interested in illusions (but don't expect much).
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Phantom's Apprentice.
Sign In »

Reading Progress

January 3, 2018 – Shelved
January 3, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
January 3, 2018 – Shelved as: netgalley
February 21, 2018 – Started Reading
February 25, 2018 –
44.0% "I keep on hearing the song "Think of Me" lol"
February 26, 2018 –
66.0%
February 28, 2018 – Shelved as: 2018
February 28, 2018 – Finished Reading

No comments have been added yet.