Jewel's Reviews > Two Man Station

Two Man Station by Lisa Henry

bookshelves: z-2018-200-299, contemporary, mm, review-copy, four-stars

Two Man Station is a story about new beginnings and second chances at love and life. Both MC's have loved and lost, though each in a different way. Both need to heal and learn how to move on. And neither have an easy time of it.

I loved the setting in a small town in the middle of nowhere, Australia. A place that looks pretty bleak on the surface, somewhere past the left edge of nowhere. Gio Valeri had no choice but to transfer, but he never expected to like it. This isn't the life he had planned for himself, at all. But Gio isn't a quitter, either, and being a cop is all he ever wanted, even if that means a 2 year transfer to Richmond.

Jason Quinn is Gio's new boss. A single parent and a widower, Jason struggles to do it all, and mostly he does ok, but it is not easy to juggle a job as a cop - even in a small town - and being a single parent. He's never felt quite ready to put himself out there again. At least not until he got to know Gio.

Trust does not come easily to either man, though, and with Gio's past, that could be trouble. Jason is professional, at first, having heard stories about Gio's last post, but learns soon enough that there must be more to the story than the rumors would suggest.

The romance is a super slow burn, and somewhat muted. Both Gio and Jason are cautious, for so many reasons and neither are prepared for a relationship. Well, boys, that's when they usually happen, so buckle up! We get to see them become friends, before they go further, and I was glad of that. They had some angst to work through and I enjoyed watching the story unfold.

I would have liked a bit more on the romance front, though, as well as a more solid ending. They're just figuring things out at the end, and though they are definitely giving a real relationship a shot, I would classify it more as an HFN, than HEA. Still, I really enjoyed the story and the setting and would definitely recommend it.

------------------
ARC of Two Man Station was generously provided by the publisher, via NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Two Man Station.

January 3, 2018 – Shelved