Beth's Reviews > A Gathering of Shadows

A Gathering of Shadows by V.E. Schwab

2.5 Stars.

My initial thoughts going into this book... I quite liked A Darker Shade of Magic, well this is now 508 pages, this is going to be long, but it has a 4.32 average on goodreads so it must be good right?! Oh you fool Beth.

Where do I even begin with this? If you love this book I’d suggest you don’t read this because I honestly couldn’t stand it. I don’t think I’ve been so let down by a second book in a series since Glass Sword, and we all know how that went. I just don’t understand how it went from good, to bad? Characters I liked I now cannot stand, but we will get to that later.

What is the second book about? Well there’s a trial, and other characters are introduced, but seriously. I didn’t start this book for a bit because this is 508 pages. What happened in those 508 pages? Well let me tell you this, for the first 300 pages NOTHING HAPPENED! Why on earth did it take so long for something… ANYTHING to happen?! I honestly just can’t. I thought oooh we will get to see training, see other things happen, but WAIT it took 375 pages for us to get a glimpse into Lila’s training, and even then it was about a page and a half. I seriously went into this with high hopes, and I came away thinking I’ve read 300 pages of filler, 100 pages of Trials, 50 pages of filler and then 58 pages of tension. Even then there wasn't enough of the trials to be fun/engaging.

Can I just also point out that this is supposed to be magical and have four Londons to me that is a selling point and unique, so why on earth did we only really see Red London? It really really annoys me that we get slight, and very small glimpses into the other Londons. I’m just so meh about it all.

Characters

Firstly we have Kell now don’t get me wrong, I still really like Kell as a character, and at times I felt so sorry for him, but he was tiptoeing around everything and didn’t want to hurt Rhy. He is supposed to be one of if not THE most powerful magician, and we didn’t really see that. I love how much he cares for Rhy, I really do, but he can’t stop living his life when Rhy does as he pleases anyway.

Then we have Lila. My god. I was just so infuriated by her throughout the entirety of the book. She’s a know it all who won’t listen to what others tell her. How long has she been part of the magic world? 4 months, yet she just thinks she knows everything. I love sarcastic characters, I really do. However this time around, I honestly was so done with her and had, had enough of it all. My issues are, how did she become pretty fluent in a language she didn’t know 4 months ago, why does she think she’s better than everyone else. If I hear one more time “I’m not like other/most girls” so help me god. What is “other/most girls” EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT. You are not under any circumstances a precious snowflake. (Thanks Katie!)

Alucard… I don’t even know if I’ve spelt his name right, but what was the point in his character other than to flirt and to be someone part of the trials?

We do not, I repeat DO NOT get enough of Holland the one character who is mysterious we get nothing on.

So… hmmmm what did I actually like?
- The mystery to Ojka
- A teeny tiny glimpse into Black London, and this other thing in it, I have no idea what it’s called
- Rhy choosing Kells flag, and asking if it should of been a black eye (it made me laugh okay, I needed something)
- HASTRA IS TOO PRECIOUS AND I LIKED HIM VERY VERY MUCH!
- The bloody cliffhanger, okay I can’t deny it.

What I didn’t like?
- Pretty much 80% of the book.
- Why did Lila annoy me so much in this book, my eye feels like it’s going to start twitching with rage
- Everything pretty much above.

Overall, severely let down by this one, for me it had the second book syndrome and I’m jus like right, how do I get my life back now? I’m going to finish the final book in the series and hope it’s better than this one.

Yeah, I am salty AF right now, it can’t be helped. May add to this rant later...

A Darker Shade of Magic - 4 Stars
A Gathering of Shadows - 2.5 Stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Gathering of Shadows.

January 3, 2018 – Shelved
January 3, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
January 8, 2018 – Started Reading
January 8, 2018 –
page 0
0.0% "I think I’m finally ready to read the second in the series... I need more Lila in my life"
January 11, 2018 –
page 55
10.74% "I’ve missed Lila so much, and now I can hear about Kell, I need them back together plz"
January 11, 2018 –
January 23, 2018 – Shelved as: i-literally-wanted-to-poke-my-eyes
January 23, 2018 – Shelved as: let-down
January 23, 2018 – Shelved as: may-want-to-try-again
January 23, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)

message 1: by Wynne (new) - added it

Wynne Katherine Are there any romance in this series?

message 2: by Karli (new)

Karli I'm so RELIEVED someone else feels this way.

Beth @Wynne ermmm... it’s not the focus but there is some

Beth @Karli honestly I’m being generous with 2.5 😂

message 5: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy Oh HERE’s the book you told me about you didn’t like! I was so confused when we were talking a few days ago 😂

Beth Amy wrote: "Oh HERE’s the book you told me about you didn’t like! I was so confused when we were talking a few days ago 😂"

And now my full ranty review is up :') oh god, I was SO angry aha!

message 7: by Puck (new)

Puck Ouch! I've heard that the second book was a letdown (And Lila being "sooo special") but you really showed it no mercy! Great review Beth, I love a review with some fire 🔥

message 8: by Rai (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rai I agree with a lot of what you said, especially Lila being infuriating but to be fair: if you have an ear for languages and are almost 100% immersed in it, with people speaking almost nothing else, for 4 months, you'd become pretty fluent.

Beth Puck wrote: "Ouch! I've heard that the second book was a letdown (And Lila being "sooo special") but you really showed it no mercy! Great review Beth, I love a review with some fire 🔥"

I couldn't help myself, my eye was just twitching with rage when I was reading it! But thank you! :)

message 10: by Beth (new) - rated it 2 stars

Beth Rai wrote: "I agree with a lot of what you said, especially Lila being infuriating but to be fair: if you have an ear for languages and are almost 100% immersed in it, with people speaking almost nothing else,..."

She was soooooo infuriating in this book! I think the thing with the languages with me was that it just didn't seem like it would happen, I don't know how to explain like it went back and forwards in different time periods over the 4 months and she wouldn't understand it, then she'd be like ah yes I do! I don't think it helped just how much I disliked her in this book either :)

message 11: by Svetlana (new)

Svetlana Sorry this was such a huge disappointment for you Beth. I’ve never read this series and don’t plan to but I really enjoyed reading your thoughts. I hope the final book in this series really makes up for it! Also, I believe you wrote a status about your anxiety a while back. I want you to know that I understand as it’s something I struggle with every day of my life. I do hope you are in a better place 😊

message 12: by Beth (new) - rated it 2 stars

Beth Svetlana wrote: "Sorry this was such a huge disappointment for you Beth. I’ve never read this series and don’t plan to but I really enjoyed reading your thoughts. I hope the final book in this series really makes u..."

Ahhhhh, I wish I'd of enjoyed it! The first book was good, I just think this one seemed to take a lot of effort and for me had second book syndrome (but I've read lots of reviews and it is well loved) hopefully the next book will be better!

And thank you very much lovely! I'm feeling much better now, just needed a bit of a break :)

Iryna *Book and Sword* Great review , I read the 1st one but I dont think I will ever invest in reading the rest. I lost all interest 🤔

message 14: by Beth (new) - rated it 2 stars

Beth Iryna (Book and Sword) wrote: "Great review , I read the 1st one but I dont think I will ever invest in reading the rest. I lost all interest 🤔"

Ahhh thank you! I don't know if I should read the third book or not now...

message 15: by A.R. (last edited Jan 24, 2018 10:52AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

A.R. Wilmer Beth wrote: "Iryna (Book and Sword) wrote: "Great review , I read the 1st one but I dont think I will ever invest in reading the rest. I lost all interest 🤔"

Ahhh thank you! I don't know if I should read the t..."

I can't promise you anything because I actually enjoyed this novel, however I found the third in the series more engaging. And we get more Holland in ACOL.

message 16: by Beth (new) - rated it 2 stars

Beth More Holland sounds good to me! Thank you :)!

message 17: by Janett (new) - added it

Janett Have this on my TBR to read in 2018. I always appreciate an honest, no holds barred review.

message 18: by Beth (new) - rated it 2 stars

Beth Ahhh thank you! I hope that when you get around to reading it, you enjoy it more :)

Brex (Bookosaurus_Rex) I loved book one, rated book two pretty high bc I was expecting it to end with a bang, but book three was so obnoxious that I DNFed it at about the half way point. Ugh

Brex (Bookosaurus_Rex) P.s. I fkin hate Lila. Lolll

message 21: by S.K. (new) - rated it 3 stars

S.K. Levy I felt the same about Lila - I love strong, sassy female characters, but she was just a bit too obnoxious and selfish for my liking =( And I wanted soooo much more of Holland too haha!

message 22: by Beth (new) - rated it 2 stars

Beth @Brex this makes me even more put off to finish the series 😂 at least we don’t like the same character though!

message 23: by Beth (new) - rated it 2 stars

Beth @S.K we legit have the same feelings, I just found her so off putting... if there was more Holland it wouldn’t be as bad 🙈

message 24: by S.K. (new) - rated it 3 stars

S.K. Levy Beth wrote: "@S.K we legit have the same feelings, I just found her so off putting... if there was more Holland it wouldn’t be as bad 🙈" Holland saved this book for me! I did think ACOL improved, and I enjoyed it a lot more than AGOS because there's more Holland; Kell, Rhy and Alucard are great and grow a lot, but Lila still irked me to no end haha.

message 25: by Beth (new) - rated it 2 stars

Beth I’ll have to look into it and finally finish the series! Hopefully it’ll be better than this 😊😊