Demi Conard's Reviews > The Secret Horses of Briar Hill

The Secret Horses of Briar Hill by Megan Shepherd

I finished this in a couple of hours and I absolutely loved every second of reading this!! The writing is wonderful and I love Emmaline with all my heart! From the first page, I loved her and I couldn’t wait to read the 228 pages ahead of me. She’s such a precious girl! You can’t possibly don’t like her.
I loved the concept of this and younger readers will too!! It’s also good that I takes place while a war is raging, to let kids know that this happened in reality. I think it’s very important to have a balance between reality and imagination in a book for children, and it was very good balanced in this one!
One of my goals was to read more middle grade books and to read more war books in 2018. SUCCESSS!!
Here are some parts of the book I enjoyed and some paragraphs that got to me.
“The others won’t say it aloud, not with Sister Constance’s watchful gaze right there, but I know they are thinking it. Thomas is a monster because he is missing something. I am a monster because I have too much of something. Too much hurt. Too much rage. I do not care. Only monsters, it seems, know that there are worlds and worlds and worlds, and ours is only one.”
LOVED THIS OMG!
“ ‘ Death isn’t the end for him. The Horse Lord says so.’
‘If the Horse Lord said it, then it must be true.’
‘And for me, if I die from the stillwaters.’
‘If that happens, then you’ll fly the fastest of all the horses, I know it.’ “
So this is a conversation between Thomas and Emmaline about the fact that people who die before their time has come, turn into flying horses. And I really liked this and I may have cried. Bye
“I wonder whether Marjorie’s bird with the broken wing ever made it this high. I wonder whether any living creature at all ever makes it this high, or if it’s only the realm of floating gods.”
THE MOMENT SHE WAS FLYING OMG MY HEART
“There is color there. There are greens and reds and blues as deep as the sea. You just have to know where to look.”
She’s living in Briar Hill where almost everything is grey or white. It’s war. This paragraph got to me.
I HOPE YOU GUYS LIKED MY REVIEW❤️❤️
Readdddd it!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret Horses of Briar Hill.

January 3, 2018 – Started Reading