Laura Gardner's Reviews > Betty Before X

Betty Before X by Ilyasah Shabazz

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️/5 for this historical #mglit book by @ilyasahshabazz and @harlemportland, which comes out 1/2/18. Thanks to @kidlitexchange for the review copy of this book. All opinions are my own!
_*_*_*_*_*
Swipe to see a summary of this historical fiction book about the childhood of Dr. Betty Shabazz, wife of Malcolm X.
_*_*_*_*_*
This book will make a wonderful addition to every classroom or school library. I was fascinated to learn about Betty’s life in 1940s Detroit; even as a middle schooler she was involved in the civil rights movement. I was horrified/fascinated to learn about shoe inserts, which were black customers were required to wear when trying on shoes in white shoe stores. The back matter is a wonderful addition to this historical fiction; I really enjoyed learning more about Betty’s family and friends, along with her contributions during Malcolm X’s life and after his death.
_*_*_*_*_*
#bookstagram #book #reading #bibliophile #bookworm #bookaholic #booknerd #bookgram #librarian #librariansfollowlibrarians #librariansofinstagram #booklove #booktography #bookstagramfeature #bookish #bookaddict #booknerdigans #booknerd #ilovereading #instabook #futurereadylibs #ISTElibs #TLChat
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Betty Before X.

Finished Reading