Julie Witt's Reviews > Tankborn

Tankborn by Karen Sandler

Oct 16, 2011

bookshelves: netgalley, ya, dystopian, sci-fi, reviewed

I received a copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for my honest opinion.

From Goodreads: "Best friends Kayla and Mishalla know they will be separated for their Assignments. They are GENs, Genetically Engineered Non-humans, and in their strict caste system, GENs are at the bottom rung of society. GENs are gestated in a tank and sent to work as slaves as soon as they reach age fifteen."

I really, really enjoyed this dystopian book! Set in a new world, there is a caste system set up so that the highborns can enjoy their lives fully, being the richest and most powerful of all of the trueborns. The lowest of the low are the tankborns. They GENs, and as they are a combination of human DNA spliced with animal DNA, they are considered nonhuman, and are the slaves to all of the other classes.

Kayla and Mishalla are best friends, but something is different about them. Even though they are only tankborn, they question things that other tankborns wouldn't even think of questioning. They are both approached separately to transport illegal data, for reasons that will become clear in the book.

I really loved the world building in this book! It always amazes me how a writer can take an idea of a world and then describe it in a way that you feel you are there, walking around with the characters, seeing all of the different things that they are seeing! Karen Sandler has a real gift for this, let me tell you! The character growth also impressed me a great deal. Kayla begins as a naive, sheltered girl, nervous about getting her Assignment. Through the book she learns that things are not always as they seem and this changes and matures her. The same is true of Mishalla. They both fall for trueborns and this also impacts their growth.

I really enjoyed this book and can't wait to find out what is going to happen next :D

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tankborn.