Darwin8u's Reviews > A Perfect Spy

A Perfect Spy by John le Carré

bookshelves: 2013

“Sometimes we have to do a thing in order to find out the reason for it. Sometimes our actions are questions, not answers.”
― John le Carré, A Perfect Spy

description

Remembrances of loyalties past. In some of le Carré's novels you feel haunted by the ghosts of Conrad, Greene, Nabokov, etc. In 'The Perfect Spy', I went back and forth about whether le Carré was building this novel to be Dickensian spy novel or a Proustian spy novel.

I still haven't quite figured it out. All I know is that it worked. It was brilliant. It was harassed by elements of Proust, Dickens, le Carré's own father, and le Carré himself. In a story about multiple fathers, why can't it be both an ode to Dickens and Proust?

'A Perfect Spy' is a novel about deception (but what spy novel isn't about deception?), memory, love and loyalty. It is a story about the sins of fathers and the absolutions of sons. It is about a character who is on the run without ever leaving a room; a room filled with hidden cabinets, burn boxes, and years and years of secrets and conflict; a room that holds a perfect spy who is running from his past, running from his present, and running from his future.

I've said this before, but I don't ever get tired of preaching it: le Carré is a novelist that WILL be read in 100 years and perhaps in 500 years because he is absolutely tapped into the global zeitgeist of the modern man and the modern nation-state. Le Carré has his finger on the pulse of what we NEED to believe, what we YEARN to believe. He has a story to tell and a map of our often hidden realities.

Le Carré's has baked a madeleine that we eventually all must choke on, because we all eventually get to that point where we refuse to swallow anymore shit.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Perfect Spy.

October 16, 2011 – Shelved
April 2, 2013 – Started Reading
April 3, 2013 –
page 15
April 12, 2013 – Shelved as: 2013
April 12, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

message 1: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Masterson I saw "The Night Manager". I loved it. Great review! :)

Darwin8u Thanks. I am waiting to see NM until I read it.

Warwick le Carré is a novelist that WILL be read in 100 years and perhaps in 500 years because he is absolutely tapped into the global zeitgeist of the modern man and the modern nation-state.

Yes – and because he writes such great sentences. I agree with you there, although for some reason I didn't find this novel one of his best.

Darwin8u Warwick wrote: "le Carré is a novelist that WILL be read in 100 years and perhaps in 500 years because he is absolutely tapped into the global zeitgeist of the modern man and the modern nation-state.

Yes – and be..."

I go back and forth with A Perfect Spy (about if it belongs on the tops shelf or not). I think it is his most autobiographical and always intrigues me with his daddy issues, etc.

message 5: by Julie (new)

Julie No one told me I might be haunted by the ghost of Greene here. I would have added it sooner!

Darwin8u Julie wrote: "No one told me I might be haunted by the ghost of Greene here. I would have added it sooner!"

Le Carre is amazing. Have you read none of his books?

message 7: by Julie (new)

Julie None! Strange, and shocking for me. I promise, this summer!