Liza Wiemer's Reviews > Radiance

Radiance by Alyson Noel

3152001

I had met the dynamic Alyson Noel at Anderson's Bookstore in Naperville, IL and purchased the first three books in her Riley Bloom series. I was excited to read them. But, when a fifth grader came to our house for dinner with her family and saw the novel on my living room table, she absolutely RAVED about the series! So I knew I had to put Radiance on the top of my list. After the family left, I picked up Radiance and started reading it. Boy was that fifth grader right! Radiance is a book about a snarky, brave, determined twelve-year-old girl who has passed away and is now in the Here & Now. She is assigned a job of being a Soul Catcher and because of her spunk and self-determination, Bodhi, her teacher/guide/mentor, gives her a difficult task of bringing in a troubled and disturbed and terrifying ten-year-old ghost who has been haunting Warmington Castle in England. Bodhi expects Riley to fail just like others before her, but don't count Riley out! Riley is accompanied by her beloved dog Buttercup (also in the Here & Now) and adds wonderful humor to the story.
Though I have just started this series, there are so many things that I love about it already. The beautiful writing that presents the Afterlife in a way that shows that death is just another extension of life, that each of us has a purpose and role in life and death, and that we all have the power to help others and do something valuable. Magnificently crafted, this series will definitely be a favorite for many middle schoolers and older. Can't wait to read more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Radiance.

Started Reading
October 13, 2011 – Finished Reading
October 16, 2011 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Sydney You met Allison Noel! lucky you! :)

message 2: by Liza (new) - added it

Liza Wiemer Allison was such a sweetheart. Genuine and open and encouraging, which I deeply appreciated!

Sydney I acually met Michelle houts, author of "the beef princess of practical county." She came to my school, and I got an autograph from her. She was amazing, and sweet, which inspired me.

message 4: by Liza (new) - added it

Liza Wiemer I just looked up Michelle Houts. The book looks good! Looking forward to seeing what other books you are reading. Have you read other Allison Noel novels? We may very well see them in the movie theater not too far in the future.