Malia's Reviews > Someone to Love

Someone to Love by Melissa de la Cruz

liked it

I was surprised at the low rating for this one. De la Cruz is a good author. But after reading it, I have to say I can see why. I like the premise. But it seemed this book could have used some tighter editing. I'm pretty sure I even saw a typo because the sentence didn't make sense the way it's printed. But mostly it needed to be tighter in the narrative. Olivia would have the same thoughts over and over again. One page she'd say so-and-so was doing this. And then basically say the same thing on the next page. Olivia is hard to like at times. I think that's true for someone with an eating disorder, they can be difficult. But it still made it tough to really connect with her. I feel like the storyline about the pressure of being a politician's daughter could have been deepened. Olivia never really had any consequences for her actions.

This book reminded me why I don't really like platonic boy/girl best friendships in YA. They almost always are secretly pining for each other. This is pretty obvious but it plays out very annoyingly. Besides Sam, the bestie, all the other guys are terrible. It didn't feel super authentic but then again, maybe that's LA.

Plor lines got dropped and picked up randomly. I think there were like a few chapters where Bulimia wasn't even mentioned and then she was like, oh, I'm still doing that.

But there were some good scenes of her pain and anguish. She was a super talented painter, like a genius pretty much. The ending was way too pat for how bad her condition was.

I think this is a book to check out if you're interested in reading all the YA eating disorder books. Otherwise, you can take it or leave it.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Someone to Love.

January 2, 2018 – Shelved
January 2, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
Started Reading
January 10, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Violet I agree completely Malia!