Jeannie Mancini's Reviews > Containment

Containment by Christian Cantrell

Oct 16, 2011

When Arik Ockley wakes up in a hospital after being rescued from a serious "outside" accident, his life is suddenly turned upside down when he begins to use his genius-like high-tech skills to uncover a well hidden secret that the founders of A1 (a geodesic dome style containment on the planet Venus) have been harboring for decades. To Arik, "outside" means outside the dome of what he believes is the outer atmosphere of another planet where he was born and raised in seclusion. The selected families of A1 were brought on board because of their top level of intelligence and talents, and babies born to the colony were matched at birth with the opposite sex for an assured plan that the colony will survive and continue for many generations. Trouble is they are running out of air. As Arik graduates from school and is ready to use his incredible skills for the purpose of improving the colony, he is asked to participate in the most important unsolved problem A1 has. The founders need him to solve the dilemma of finding more air so that the next generation can reproduce and continue with the mission. Another solution to recycling air or reproducing oxygen must be found. But when Arik starts digging, and hacking into computer mainframes, and investigating both personnel and outer atmosphere conditions, he realizes they have all been seriously duped. Mysteries,and questions begin to surface as Arik begins to discover layers of lies, deceit, and betrayals that will put all their lives at risk.

Christian Cantrell's novel paints a vivid picture of what life would be like if Earth was destroyed from a cataclysmic event and was forced to develop programs for space colonization in other parts of the solar system. The author's creative mind stirs up an exciting and unique sci-fi thriller that is beyond the average when compared to other stories being currently pumped out. Containment is a true "science" fiction novel with many detailed descriptions of science and computer related elements from both the present day and in the far future. For some readers there might be too much detailed and complicated science not normally understood by the layman, but then again, others like myself who know nothing about science just might find it incredibly fascinating in spite of the incredibly detailed data.

I was ready to give the book 5 stars because I loved the idea of the story and sincerely felt it was well executed. I enjoy creativity and ingenuity and felt Cantrell certainly offered that. But I cut my star review back to four because I did feel the ending was a bit anti-climactic and could have been a little more of a surprise. This reader thinks a little bit more, a longer story, could have helped put more substance into the minor background stories and characters that sort of did not get enough attention, or to a few of the teeny things I believe were not resolved and left open for interpretation. All in all, this was a great story, very fun and entertaining and I look forward to what the author comes up with next.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Containment.

Finished Reading