Ian Tay's Reviews > Homo Deus: A History of Tomorrow

Homo Deus by Yuval Noah Harari

The most thought-provoking and scary book I've read in a long while.

The book is clearly framed as a means of starting a conversation about the human agenda and the sources of meaning for humanity. According to Harari, modernity is a simple deal - one in which humans agree to give up meaning in exchange for power. We escaped this deal through humanism, which gave us meaning independent of a great cosmic plan. Yet, if humanism disintegrates —and Harari says this is highly possible — then along with it goes the font of meaning for modern humans.

Harari uses a similar macro-interpretation of history as he did in Sapiens but presents it brevity and with a focus on the rise of humanism. The historical aspect of this book is important - by allowing us to trace the origins of our humanist present, it enables us to think more imaginatively about our post-humanist future.

I read this after Pinker's "Enlightenment Now" and find them to be quite complementary. Pinker defends humanism (and other enlightenment ideals) with respect to present-day trends (e.g. populism, declinism). Harari doesn't defend Humanism, but points out that it is soon to become obsolete, mostly due to its own success.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Homo Deus.

January 2, 2018 – Shelved