Dija's Reviews > Fifty Shades of Grey

Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L. James

Oct 16, 2011

did not like it
bookshelves: 2011, dropped, great-disappointment, waste-of-anticipation-energy, wtf-abkjkad, why-do-i-even-bother, cr, could-have-been-sooo-much-better, everyone-loved-but-dija, first-in-series
Read from October 23, 2011 to January 17, 2012

I'm not going to force myself to read any more of this bullshit. I gave it an honest shot and that's all this book is entitled to. I'm not going to waste my time or energy on this when there are a million other, better books to be read. *dropped*

10/23/2011 page 21
6.0% "I had no idea shopping for home appliances could be transformed into such a passionate experience. O.O" 10 comments
10/23/2011 page 50
14.0% "This book is so good!!" 4 comments
10/23/2011 page 61
17.0% "“What is it about elevators?” Indeed."
10/23/2011 page 74
21.0% "Well, my brief love affair with Christian has certainly come to an end for the time being." 3 comments
03/14/2016 marked as: dropped
show 1 hidden update…

Aly is so frigging bored U're reading it! :O Yes :D In this one the heroine got to me :D But the hero, he is fascinating :X I hope you like it

message 2: by Dija (new) - rated it 1 star

Dija I had no idea you'd read it, Aly! I've just started it and I'm already loving it. :D

message 3: by Aly is so frigging bored (last edited Oct 23, 2011 03:45AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Aly is so frigging bored :D Let me give you the soundtrack for the book, it's so cool that the author did this :D

Aly is so frigging bored Uhm... Dee, what are you talking about?!

message 5: by Dija (new) - rated it 1 star

Dija Dude, maybe it's just me, but this guy is despicable. He's like this smooth, rich, manipulating, and disgusting bastard and I'm not too impressed with the heroine either. I'm taking a break from this book for now.

Aly is so frigging bored Wow :D I like him :D Maybe in real life I would be tempted to kill him but in the book I love him :D And I love it even more when he opens up about his past in book 2, he can be really adorable

message 7: by Dija (new) - rated it 1 star

Dija From what I've read so far, something really dreadful better have happened to him to get him to act this way. And (view spoiler) He reminds me way too much of Vishous from BDB, and I hate the way he's fucking Ana and then commanding her on how much she can eat and sleep and just being a dickhead in general, and Ana's completely taking it, simply because she's attracted to him on a baser level. There's a limit to how far you should go for lust, and letting a man dictate to you outside of the bedroom crosses that line for me.

So, yeah. Putting this book aside for now.

Aly is so frigging bored His early years were the prob... If you read more you'll see what happened and this is technically BDSM, at least the 1st book and in the and Anastasia wises up.

He reminds me of Barrons :D so see, another reason why I love Fifty 8-> If he reminded me of someone in BDB i wouldn't have read this :)) :D

message 9: by Dija (new) - rated it 1 star

Dija I figured his childhood would be an issue, but I'm not going to like him based on something I don't even know. What's BDSM? And I don't care if Ana grows a spine by the end; it's her attitude right now that's bothering me.

Comparing Christian to Barrons is an insult to the latter! But since you've read both books, I trust you know what you're talking about. :D

Aly is so frigging bored wiki quote: "bondage and discipline (B&D or B/D), dominance and submission"

and Christian is really tame in comparison to Barrons but he has smth, don't know really what, that reminds me of him :)

message 11: by Dija (last edited Oct 24, 2011 07:15AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Dija Oh, okay. Poor innocent me has probably never read a BDSM novel, so it's a shock on my senses. Ah, well, I'll try to go easy on the book now that I know that it's actually supposed to be about the whole dominating and submitting thing.

message 12: by Aly is so frigging bored (last edited Oct 24, 2011 07:21AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Aly is so frigging bored Only the idea of it, but in the end Christian really doesn't have the heart to make her submit in everything, (view spoiler) He wants to see her like one of his regular subs, but he can't :) He really is cute and does therapy for his issues so you can't be that hard on him :D

And I remember what makes me think of Barrons: his air of command and the way everything seems to shrink when he enters some room :) And don't forget that he's very hot :D

VampireNovelFan That bad, huh?

message 14: by Dija (new) - rated it 1 star

Dija Worse, trust me.

message 16: by ♥Rachel♥ (new)

♥Rachel♥ This isn't for everyone, Diji. :) you gave it an honest try. Sorry it didn't work out for you. I think this an either love it or hate it type of book.

Laura I like that you tried, Dija. Now you can rant & rave all you want! haha...

message 18: by Dija (last edited May 04, 2012 01:17PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Dija @Rachel: It's very, very sweet of you to accept and even discuss that I didn't like the book you clearly loved so much. It's been a while since I've seen that around GR. :) And I'm glad at least one of us liked it. You're right, it just wasn't for me, though I really loved the beginning.

message 19: by Dija (new) - rated it 1 star

Dija @Laura: LOL, that's usually not my style, actually. I don't like hating on books I didn't bother completing, but I do express my opinion when asked. I'm glad you loved it, Laura. :D

Laura Dija—I love that you said that! :) Same here not a big hater. Sometimes people seem to judge a book without trying it though. So I feel like if you try a book—you have earned the right to say what you like. Haha….If that makes sense. :) I love talking to people with different opinions on books btw! It makes the world more interesting. If we liked all the same books--well...what a boring world it would be. :)

Beth  (YA Books Central) I am completely OBSESSED with this book!!!! I read the first in 3 days and am halfway thru with the 2nd in ONE day!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!!!!

message 22: by Dija (last edited May 04, 2012 01:45PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Dija @Laura: Oh, I'm definitely not gonna argue with you on the entitlement to ranting bit. 100 pages are definitely enough to decide whether a book will work out for me or not. XD Do you like Twilight?

@Beth: Glad you're liking it. Have fun. :)

Laura LOL! That is such a loaded question. Haha….I have only read the first two books. I liked the first one. I thought it did a good job pulling readers into a series. I did read the second book, but it was a struggle. The characters began to really grate on my nerves. Still love that the series pulled SO many people into reading, but…I could not continue. How about you? A Twilight fan?

message 24: by Dija (last edited May 04, 2012 02:18PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Dija Nah, I hate Twilight. I've always been a reader, so I was actually pretty eager about starting it back when it was just beginning to be popular. I really, really didn't like it, but thought it might get better because Alice and Jasper were so awesome.

So I read the second book, hated it too, but heard the third one was the best of the lot, so ended up reading that too. After that, there was only one left, so I read that one too, LOL. Overall, I didn't like it at all, but it had some good parts, like Alice, Jasper, and Emmett.

But I agree, it's great that so many people have become avid readers because of Twilight.

message 25: by ♥Rachel♥ (new)

♥Rachel♥ Dija wrote: "@Rachel: It's very, very sweet of you to accept and even discuss that I didn't like the book you clearly loved so much. It's been a while since I've seen that around GR. :) And I'm glad at least on..."

Diji, I think we are all entitled to our opinion. I respect that you tried it and didn't like it. Like Laura said, you've earned the right to rant if you want to. We're not all going to like the same books all the time. I don't think anyone should feel scared to give their opinion or be judged because of it. I hope you aren't getting any grief for your opinion (I didn't read through the comments above. I'm working in between checking on GR, haha!!). That would be a shame if you are. You know what's funny, sometimes a negative review actually makes me want to read a book! Lol! :)

message 26: by Dija (last edited May 04, 2012 02:23PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Dija No, I never feel scared about expressing my opinion, but thank goodness no one's bothered me about my feelings for Fifty. I was referring to the general unrest going around on GR. So much hating and bashing, I really don't want any part of it.

And you know, when you didn't reply fast, I figured out you were working, LOL. You sneaky woman. :P

message 27: by ♥Rachel♥ (new)

♥Rachel♥ Btw, I am a Twilight fan, shhh!! I know they're cheesy, but I couldn't help it. LOL!!

message 28: by Dija (new) - rated it 1 star

Dija Don't worry, we're still friends, Rachel. As long as you admit you loved Jasper too. ;D

Laura LOL! That just killed me! I love that you just kept going. Haha…My eyes could not take any more rolling around. ;) I loved Alice too though! :)

message 30: by ♥Rachel♥ (last edited May 04, 2012 02:29PM) (new)

♥Rachel♥ Hahaha! Of course. ;)

Is there more unrest going on here? I knew there was stuff a few months ago (which I try to stay out of completely) but I haven't noticed anything lately. :(

message 31: by Dija (new) - rated it 1 star

Dija I don't know, that was still back when I used to try to understand why I could hate something everyone loved so much. By the end though, I was simply regretting the many hours of my life wasted. XD

Laura Hey Rachel! I'm the same way! I love reading negative reviews. Sometimes they make me so curious. I have to find out for myself. Haha…

message 33: by ♥Rachel♥ (new)

♥Rachel♥ Me too, Laura. :)

message 34: by Christina (new)

Christina Wilder Amen to that. I got to page 17 and just couldn't do it anymore. Life's too short.

message 35: by Jill (new) - rated it 1 star

Jill See we're on the same page, Dija! :)