Jules's Reviews > The Circle Cast: The Lost Years of Morgan Le Fay

Oct 15, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: reviewed, sent-4-review

Read my full review at One Book Shy of a Full Shelf

I am drawn to any story about the Arthurian legends or characters. There are so many variations and theories about these figures from history and legend that I think they will always be of interest me and others. I was impressed to read that one of the author's inspirations was T.H. White's "Once and Future King". It was one of my favorites as well.

Morgan Le Fey has always been one of the more mysterious players in the drama and mists surrounding Arthur. Alex Epstein has created a fascinating tale that starts with Anna as a young girl just before the murder of her father Gorlois. We are taken on the journey with Anna, now renamed Morgan, as she is sent to Ireland in exile. We are with Anna as she survives slavery and other hardships along the way. Her discovery of love, magic and religion are critical to the powerful woman she becomes.

It is interesting that the author has created a girl/woman that you find yourself rooting for and hoping for her success. Especially if you're familiar with the main threads of the legends and know what a pivotal and disastrous part she plays in King Arthur's life.

This is a great addition to the many King Arthur stories ~ although he doesn't play a part in this early story until the end. I definitely recommend it to those who enjoy a good adventure story as well as new takes on old legends.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Circle Cast.