Darlene's Reviews > Life as We Knew It

Life as We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer

Every now and then a person needs a good disaster movie or book. I've yet to figure out why. I think it is watching how predictable those in charge cause even more problems and how the human spirit can rise to the occasion in spite of everything. By the way, this one doesn't have zombies. Imagine that!

I bought this Kindle book and its Audible companion quite a few years ago and just forgot about it. I don't know what brought it to mind now, but I am glad I found it again.

Not only is the story engaging from the very beginning, Emily Bauer's narration keeps it all alive. I love that this particular disaster stays rather calm in the crises as the mother tries to get her family prepared and she fiercely protects them.

The story starts with a family that is probably as familiar as our own, divorce included. It shows how love is still there even where the living together failed. And the children of this break up are not less well off, just different.

As the world becomes spread out because of the lack of working communication devices, the daughter keeps her diary going. It is through her communications with herself that we learn the story of life after the meteor hit the moon and causes tidal waves, earthquakes, volcanos and more. The global mess becomes personal as this teen tries to adjust from boys and kisses and proms to washing the laundry by hand and staving off hunger.

I highly recommend this book. There was a lot to learn here for all of us.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Life as We Knew It.

October 15, 2011 – Shelved
September 10, 2012 – Shelved as: post-apocalyptic
September 10, 2012 – Shelved as: text-to-speech-enabled
December 9, 2016 – Started Reading
December 13, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Kay (new)

Kay thanks for suggestion. the trilogy is on my list.

Darlene I just picked up the second book but it is taking time to get to it for library-kindle/overdrive books to read that have due dates. I can't wait to see what happens next.