Justin's Reviews > Jesus, Interrupted: Revealing the Hidden Contradictions in the Bible & Why We Don't Know About Them

Jesus, Interrupted by Bart D. Ehrman

Oct 15, 2011

bookshelves: favorites, paper-worthy
Read from October 08 to 15, 2011 — I own a copy

I have always loved my Bible. My religious upbringing gave me a deep and abiding love of the book which was, truly, a love. It wasn't a fear that if I didn't read it something bad would happen. It was a love for the work. A passion for understanding it.

Ehrman seems to have the same thing.

I completely agree with Ehrman that the Bible is the most important book in western civilization. A solid understanding of what is is and what it says (and doesn't say) can only help us if we wish to use the language of Christianity to describe our path of spirituality. Ehrman gives a solid and honest examination. Most appreciated is his eagerness to point out where he might be wrong. Never trust an author who pretends he can't be wrong. And never ever trust an author who pretends that he believes he could be wrong, but clearly hasn't ever taken that into consideration.

In this book, Ehrman presents facts. He delves into the history of the Biblical text itself. What is it and where did it come from? He discusses what can and cannot be known through academic historical processes. He talks theology and doctrine, showing how each developed over time.

In clean, simple language, Ehrman gives a wonderful overview of the history of western Christianity. As this religion is my heritage, it was like reading a family history. An entertaining and engaging one, too. I'm certain this book will be well-work over time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jesus, Interrupted.

10/15/2011 page 256
03/13/2016 marked as: read

Kenny Bell PLEASE READ* Does Bart Erhman provide the resources or evidence to where he claims "We don't have the original bible" and "we dont know who wrote the bible"? He just says this thing without pointing readers where to look this up. And it was also weird to me that if we dont have the original bible then what did they use to translate to English?