rachel's Reviews > The Dark Dark

The Dark Dark by Samantha Hunt

bookshelves: 2018, lady-lit, sci-fi-fantasy

I would not say I really liked all of the stories in this collection, but I want to set aside personal taste and a reader's natural want for personal connection and rate based on ambition.

Some stories read like things I have read before ("Beast" seemed like something Kelly Link might have written). For the most part, though, Samantha Hunt's stories of shifting existences explore places I've rarely, if ever, read about before: an alternate history fantasy of a love robot sent to kill the Unibomber, a serviceman on a Coast Guard ship who renders a peculiar "service" to a teenage girl willing to pay. I enjoyed reading this collection and finding not only large connective motifs (pregnancy & generation of the physical body being the most obvious) but small repeated details, like characters in two separate stories referencing the same music, or fearing Lyme disease. That seems appropriate for the way this collection plays with being itself.

The story I felt the most from was "The House Began to Pitch." It is one of the more straightforward stories in the collection (no real elements of fantasy) and it is heartbreaking. It is not as ambitious or unique as many others Hunt shares, but the circumstances of the heartbreak as plotted were just right to twist the knife in my gut a bit.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dark Dark.

January 2, 2018 – Started Reading
January 2, 2018 – Shelved
January 2, 2018 – Shelved as: 2018
January 2, 2018 – Shelved as: lady-lit
January 2, 2018 – Shelved as: sci-fi-fantasy
January 2, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

message 1: by Julie (new) - added it

Julie Ehlers Excellent review! Stuff like "love robot sent to kill Unabomber" would ordinarily be enough to keep me away forever, but you almost make me want to try this.

rachel Ha! It normally isn't to my taste either, Julie, but that story comes near the end of the collection and by the time I reached it, I already had respect for Hunt as a writer, so it didn't bother me. Many of the stories have an element of fantasy and an element of humor, but aren't so absurd. It's certainly an original idea.

message 3: by Julie (new) - added it

Julie Ehlers rachel wrote: "Ha! It normally isn't to my taste either, Julie, but that story comes near the end of the collection and by the time I reached it, I already had respect for Hunt as a writer, so it didn't bother me..."

I actually have a copy of her novel at home, so that will be first, but given your four stars I think I'll try this too. Thanks!

rachel Do you mean Mr. Splitfoot or The Invention of Everything? I've had both on my to read list for a while now.

message 5: by Julie (new) - added it

Julie Ehlers rachel wrote: "Do you mean Mr. Splitfoot or The Invention of Everything? I've had both on my to read list for a while now."

I didn't even know she had two novels! Mr. Splitfoot is the one I have.