Joyzi's Reviews > The Firm

The Firm by John Grisham

Oct 15, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: author-american, adult, contemporary-fiction, realistic-fiction, reviewed, nook
Recommended to Joyzi by: goodreads
Recommended for: kalalakihan (men)
Read from April 16 to 27, 2012 , read count: 1

I'm quite surprised reading this because I thought this book will be like The Litigators (the first Grisham book that I've read) wherein the focus will be the courtroom and a trial. However, this book is about this rookie tax lawyer who was hand-picked to work in this law firm in Memphis. The firm gave him a high salary, a house with a low interest mortgage and a brand new car. He was offered a lot of material things and because he was not that rich he accepted the offer. Later on he found out that the firm was secretly governed by the Mafia and the law firm was only a facade. He cooperated with the FBI and he tried to gather evidence, but in the end the firm knew about what was he doing and then it became a chase in the end when he escaped the firm.

Even though I am a little bit disappointed because I wanted a plot focused on courtroom dramas this book is still thrilling and has a strong message (money is not everything and will not make you happy). Also, I like John Grisham because compared to Jodi Picoult his novels are centered on lawyers not the clients. I'm looking forward to read more of his works.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Firm.

04/24/2012 page 240
43.0% "Lawyers, Mafia and FBI hmmpf..."

message 1: by Apokripos (new)

Apokripos Welcome back, Joyce Jimenez! :D

Joyzi Thanks Sherlock :)

message 3: by Kwesi 章英狮 (last edited Apr 29, 2012 08:07AM) (new)

Kwesi 章英狮 The only book I read from Grisham's list is The Chamber (Story of a lawyer son saving his innocent father from the death chamber.) and I'm sure that I won't pick his books again until the right time will come that I will give him another chance. It was boring! Okay, it's just that I'm not interested to court room dramas. I think you have to try Grisham's books for teens. Hehe.

Joyzi I've read a couple of reviews saying John Grisham is boring, but I guess it depends on the reader (or maybe the book). I only have one John Grisham e-book left "A Time to Kill." I'll probably read it after To Kill a Mockingbird. :)

Kwesi 章英狮 Ay naku! Good luck for that. I think people who appreciated Grisham's works are those lawyers and wannabe lawyers in the near future.

Joyzi Oo nga e pero ok naman sya, parang nabasa ko ko kasi yung mga unang libro nya yung magaganda (A Time to Kill, The Firm, etc.) tapos parang nag down hill na yung quality ng writing niya (naging boring na) ayun kaya iniisip ko baka depende sa book. Pero yung latest nya The Litigators maganda naman nakakatawa. Maganda din ata yung YA nya na Theodore Boone.

message 7: by Monique (new)

Monique Best Grisham for me is The Partner. :)

Joyzi Ok, nilagay ko sa to-read ko. :)