Michaela's Reviews > Bunheads

Bunheads by Sophie Flack

F 50x66

Recommended for: ballet dancers, ballerinas, dancers, artists, balletomanes

Finally! A book that reflects the work ethic, sufferings, rewards, trials, hopes, and emotions of ballet dancers! I love how it accurately portrays a dancer's life- the geography of New York and sight seeings wonderfully transports me to the Big Apple while the descriptions of performances, gives me a first row seat to the world of ballet!
In this book, Hannah, a ballet dancer who dreams of being a soloist dancer- even principal- commiserates with friends over the strains and hardships in a dancer's life. Beneath the beautiful performances, however, is also an undercurrent of fierce competition. No one wants to give up a life dream- have all the hours of sweat, bunions, blisters, dieting go to waste and the only way to make their dreams happen is to get promoted. No matter the cost.
Or so Hannah thinks as she seems to spiral downwards in emotional and physical pain. When she meets a cute musician she is introduced to a world outside her theater and falls in love with it too! Can she balance both her loves or does one passion conquer the other? It's just tutu good to miss (haha get it :p)
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bunheads.