Samantha Davidson's Reviews > Shadow Crown

Shadow Crown by Kristen Martin

liked it
Read 2 times. Last read May 9, 2018 to May 21, 2018.

There have been quite a few reviews of Kristen's book that highlight the negative, but as a fellow author, I have to say that it's really discouraging to read some of these reviews.

Being completely transparent, I could understand a few of the points that those neigh-sayers have pointed out, and maybe there are some spelling or grammatical errors, but Kristen is truly an inspiration. I can sit here all day and pick apart author's work, whether it's a self published, indie author like Martin, or a NYT best selling author like Sarah J Maas. (Hear me out here before you start jumping on anything against Queen Maas)

If you are looking for faults in a story, you will find them. If you are picking up a book to enjoy it, and to get immersed into it, you will. After reading the negative reviews (I really shouldn't read any of them) I found myself nit-picking. I had to stop, put the book down for an afternoon, and pick it back up with a clear, unaffected mind. And when I did, it was a great story! Why I bring Maas into this, is I ended up reading a few of her negative reviews, and for the next two chapters, all I could see were the things that the neigh-sayers were calling her out on. (and Maas has become one of my favourite authors, so if the negativity can affect someone that LOVES her books, how much more can if affect someone who is picking up an indie authors book for the first time?)

AN HONEST REVIEW:

Martin's story line was wonderful. Her characters wound together nicely, and her plot and description were delightful. The world building was fantastic, and I was able to visualize nearly everything throughout the book. There were two small plot holes/ inconsistencies that I noticed, though I didn't go back to discover if it was my own assumption of a character, or an oversight, but neither were deal breakers or earth shattering, DNF type issues.

The story line is smooth, the pacing done well, and the lead up to the series was executed nicely.

The tone and voice was much more hashed out and authentic in SHADOW CROWN than I found it was in ALPHA DRIVE, but that was to be expected as ALPHA DRIVE was the authors debut novel. I am not really a fan of dystopian, so I didn't end up reading the rest of the ALPHA DRIVE series, but I will be continuing to read the SHADOW CROWN series as the next books are published. I am excited to watch Martin's writing improve with each book she publishes. (And it will improve, these are all steps that we take to become the best version of ourselves)

Please take heart with your reviews, and understand there are people that created these books. There are real people that are taking a chance and putting their passion onto paper for the world to see, and criticize and love. Honest, unbiased opinions are helpful, so long as they aren't hurtful.

Great book Kristen, and I can't wait for the next one!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadow Crown.

Finished Reading