PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps 's Reviews > Someone to Love

Someone to Love by Melissa de la Cruz

it was ok

** spoiler alert ** GRADE: D
1.5 STARS

High school junior Olivia wilts under the pressure of her family’s high expectations and her father’s gubernatorial campaign. Bulimic, a heavy drinker and a cutter, finally dating her crush Zach isn’t the dream she had imagined. Liv is on the outs with her best friends and spiraling out of control.

I very much enjoyed Melissa de la Cruz’s SOMETHING IN BETWEEN, but struggled through SOMEONE TO LOVE. The premise of a politician’s daughter striving for perfection sounded intriguing, I was surprised at de la Cruz’s boring plot execution. Olivia wasn’t particularly likable. A social climber treated her real friends poorly while trying to achieve her relationship goals. Although Liv was hurting, I was well into the second half of the book before I felt much sympathy for her.

The characters were one dimensional and the plot predictable. The best part of SOMEONE TO LOVE was that Olivia finally embraced recovery, although her linear recovery with perfect support from her previously unsupportive family was unrealistic for most sufferers of Liv’s problems.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Someone to Love.

January 2, 2018 – Shelved
January 5, 2018 – Started Reading
January 6, 2018 –
31.0% "I keep waiting for this book to get better. If I wasn’t frozen in, I might DNF"
January 6, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Stacy Wow, this review makes me take note. You're so much more forgiving of unlikeable narrators, like the mc in "I Am Not Your Perfect Mexican Daughter." For Olivia to be worse than that is saying something. This is definitely not a book for me.

PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps Thanks Melissa. Sometimes I really like I unlikable narrators if they are well written, although there are certain traits I can’t tolerate: animal abuser, narcissism, completely awful with no redeeming characteristic etc