Alagaesia.Books's Reviews > Schwarzes Prisma

Schwarzes Prisma by Brent Weeks

First read of the year and I couldn’t be happier.
I bought The Black Prism almost a year ago and finally decided to dig into the story. And guess what? I absolutely loved it.

I’m a real sucker for magic systems especially unique ones and the one Weeks created total-ly fits my “standards” – if you could say so.
I was worried that it might be similar to the one Brandon Sanderson used in Warbreaker but this fear soon turned out to be unfounded. Those magic systems sure both use the colour concept as their basis but that’s where the similarities end.
The world building was quite solid too and I really liked how Weeks described the characters, especially Gavin Guile and Kip became my favourites and were really well written. I totally enjoyed their part of the story a lot. The latter almost immediately found his way into my heart. His chapter where just so fun to read.

So after listing the things I liked about the Black Prism one might ask why this isn’t a 5 star rating. The answer is simple: It’s not perfect. Don’t get me wrong, the story is great, well developing and intriguing, the characters and Weeks style of writing are great and like I said before I loved(!) the magic system, but it had some flaws.
First of all, the beginning was kind of slow going, I’m not saying that it wasn’t interesting but I had some trouble getting into the story. Mostly because it lacked important information, like how the magic system works (we get this information at a later point but it would have been nice to have it from the start).
Another thing I would have liked to get more of is character development. It’s not like there was none, it was just not enough in my opinion. I love character developments. To see how my favourite character grows and evolves is one of the best thing ever. That’s why I would have wished for more development but I’m sure I get plenty of this in the following books so it’s ok.

All in all the Black Prism is a great book, full of small but really unexpecting plot twists, great characters and a unique magic system.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Schwarzes Prisma.

January 30, 2017 – Shelved (Hardcover Edition)
January 30, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read (Hardcover Edition)
January 2, 2018 – Started Reading