C.G. Drews's Reviews > The Beauty That Remains

The Beauty That Remains by Ashley Woodfolk

bookshelves: contemporary, read-2018, young-adult

This was super heavy and emotional...but also hopeful. Also get a bucket for your tears. Preferably an ice cream bucket because then you can eat the ice cream and JUST CRY. Wow. I actually also liked that this was about: healing. It's about how grief doesn't always follow the "guide book" and how sometimes it takes so long to process, how the guilt can eat you, how asking for help is ok and you shouldn't be ashamed.

(Also I legit just finished Letters to the Lost which is also about grief and death and guilt...so wow way to go @ me for deciding just to continually send my heart through the shredder. What are my hobbies? Oh just crYING over fictional people it's fine it's fine.)

And it just had all the HEART. I truly felt so much love and care and passion went into this. 😭💛

It's told from 3 narrating perspectives: Autumn, Logan, and Shay.
At first their stories don't overlap much. They all go to the same school, but the true lock is that all of their lines contain one member (a main character or a secondary one) who was in a very popular band that broke up. And they're ALL suffering from huge heart wracking grief over losing someone.

☆ AUTUMN: She's just lost her best friend in a car accident and she's in love with her BFF's brother but...is that weird now? She hasn't cried. She's absolutely broken with grief and can't draw anymore. She's also super soft and sweet. (She's Asian!)
☆ LOGAN: He's the lead singer in the band, but ruined it all and broke them all up...because he can't deal with the fact his ex-boyfriend died. But Logan was still very much in love with him. And he's hiding some horrible things he said, plus trying to understand WHY Bram committed suicide when he was so happy-go-lucky. Logan is pretty much a huge ass though, so his chapters were a bit hard to read. (He's queer!)
☆ SHAY: Her twin just died of cancer and she's absolutely falling apart. She also is kind of neglected by her mum and has huge panic attacks. She's super sweet and kind of bubbly (although it's squashed by grief). I thought she was really nice ahhh. (Also she's black!)

There was just so much to love in all the chapters?!
There's good parents and epic sibling relationships. There's complicated romance and very very complicated portrayals of grief. PLUS it shows three people grieving three different way sand this is so so important???

(I do admit that Autumn's chapters were the most dry to me...I wish they'd been narrated by Dante? I LOVED Shay the best! I was super addicted to Logan's chapters because they held the most questions/strongest plot...but he was so awful argh. His character arc was great though!)

Basically, this book is excellent and you want it. I see it in your EYES. It's sad, but not hopeless, and it's sweet but not sugary. It has a lot of characters and they all seemed so complex and dimensional in just a few chapters! I devoured it all in just a few sittings because I wanted answers and I just wanted this crowd of cinnamon childrens to be ok. 😭

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Beauty That Remains.

January 2, 2018 – Shelved
January 2, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
July 31, 2018 – Started Reading
July 31, 2018 –
page 76
23.24% "I'm liking this a lot buuuut there are 298039 characters and I am literally the worst at names so 😫"
August 1, 2018 –
page 182
55.66% "This is so saaaaad and very heavy. 😭😭"
August 1, 2018 – Shelved as: contemporary
August 1, 2018 – Shelved as: read-2018
August 1, 2018 – Shelved as: young-adult
August 1, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Jenny, (new) - added it

Jenny, The Distracted Bee Your family is going to start to worry about you wandering around with red-rimmed eyes all the time! Sounds like another good one, tho!!

C.G. Drews I only cry on the inside actually. 😂 I haven't ever cried actual tears while reading?! I'm so odd!

message 3: by Jenny, (new) - added it

Jenny, The Distracted Bee No way! That’s your super power! My Kleenex bill would be nothing! Jealous...