Kristilyn (Reading In Winter)'s Reviews > Go the Fuck to Sleep

Oct 15, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: borrowed, audiobooks, read-in-2011
Read in October, 2011

I really hope I was not the only person who felt offended while reading this book. This is a rare thing that happens for me, and only happened once (Wetlands, Charlotte Roche) before.

I had read so many good things about Go The F*** To Sleep that, even though I don’t have children, I just had to give it a read. First I read the book and felt like I missed something, and then I listened to the audiobook. The only redeeming quality for the story is the fact that Samuel L. Jackson does the reading for the audiobook and the contrasts between his voice, the story, and the music that’s going on in the background is priceless.

The story is about a child who, obviously, won’t go to sleep and will go to any means to stay up—ask for water, another story, to go to the bathroom, etc. Irritating to new parents, no doubt, though I’m sure not all kids are like this (and don’t even try to say they are—I’ve heard stories, don’t get me wrong!).

While I appreciated the audiobook to some extent, the story just didn’t do it for me. Yes, I’ve been around kids who don’t want to go to bed at night—so don’t think that I don’t know what it feels like—but this story isn’t for everyone. Not everyone feels the urge to swear at their kids and go crazy because their kid won’t go to sleep. Not everyone “gets” the same one-dimensional type of humor that is this book. Not everyone finds the over-usage of f*** hilarious. I sure didn’t.

Personally, I didn’t see it as a refreshing read, as so many have touted it to be, I saw it as offensive and something I wouldn’t want my (nonexistent) children to accidentally find. If anything, the story could’ve made its rounds as an email complete with pictures, and maybe an audio attached—as a story book (which is at least $10), and something you’d only laugh at once during the initial read, it seems like a cash-cow.

I’m sure it would be a great read for some parents, but honestly, past the first few pages, the gimmick gets old and it’s just too repetitive. There may have been a huge hype going over the book when it first came out, but, as I said, it’s a quick way for the authors to make money, and both the language and content will not be for every set of new parents.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Go the Fuck to Sleep.

08/03/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Laura Frey (new)

Laura Frey (Reading in Bed) I think it's a satire of a specific children's book or series of children's books. Seeing the "original" would probably help :) I'm not a huge fan either but there ya go!

Kristilyn (Reading In Winter) I'm rereading this review almost 4.5 years later and two children later and I so get it now. Still a little more vulgar than I would've liked, but I get it. lol