Katie's Reviews > Underworld

1928123
Oct 15, 2011

bookshelves: arc, own
Read on May 16, 2012

I really wanted to love Underworld. I’m a huge Meg Cabot fan as well as a Greek mythology fan. While I enjoyed Underworld I found it seriously lacking in some ways and I just couldn’t love it.

Pierce is probably the biggest problem. She is such a contradictory character. One second she hates John and the next second she loves him. She talks about wanting to go home and when she gets there she wants to go back to the Underworld. It’s like, seriously Pierce, make up your mind. It was clear to see how much she was hurting John with her indecisiveness.

As for John, I felt more like he was the victim. The synopsis makes him seem like this evil guy but he’s just looking out for Pierce. Everything he does is for her safety. He’s a good guy who obviously loves Pierce and only wants what is best for her. And at every turn Pierce says or does something to hurt him. I felt bad for him more than I felt bad for Pierce.

The plot was rather slow to pick up. There’s some exploring of the Underworld in the beginning, some new characters introduced, and a lot of history explored before anything really happens. And even when things do start happening there are a lot of breaks in the action and at times it was a bit dull. Also, while some questions were answered in this book a lot were left open and I really would have liked a few more answers than were given.

The mythology in Underworld is a lot better than that in Abandon. The original story of Hades and Persephone is expanded upon and it’s not quite the traditional story. The elaboration of the myth was the most fascinating part of the book. I am a total mythology geek and I was pleasantly surprised with this retelling.

Overall, Underworld is a pretty strong follow-up to Abandon. It will definitely appeal to Greek mythology fans and I’m now eagerly awaiting the final book in the trilogy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Underworld.

05/16/2012 page 129