Jeffrey Debris's Reviews > God Emperor of Dune

God Emperor of Dune by Frank Herbert

bookshelves: 2018, science-fiction, in-collection

Rarely do I read a book that's just so good I can't stop reading, once it manages to grab me. Granted, it took me three months to finish this book, but that's because I was experiencing a major reading dip.

This fourth instalment in the Dune Chronicles picks up centuries after the third. Dune is named Arrakis, because of all the changes made to the planet. It's far from recognizable even. Herbert manages to capture the images well in his writing.

What this book is mostly about is the suffering of someone who's become a God in the eyes of mortal men. His plans for humankind and what he's been working on, this so called "Golden Path" are both deeply philosophical and metaphysical. It's what kept me reading, because I wanted to learn more about it.

As usual Herbert's way of telling a story is still there. We see all the character's thoughts, emotions and dialog through the storytelling. I personally love this, which is why I use it in my own writing. This can have a nasty side-effect of becoming confusing, but knowing all of the ins and outs of what drives each character makes the story all the more compelling.

I won't spoil much of the story itself, but this part of the series was perhaps the least scifi oriented book, but most definitely the most philosophical, which is probably why I loved it so much. One of the things that really got me thinking was how Herbert explained through this book how an all-female army would be much more efficient one at waging war than an army filled with males. Even thinking about it now I think he had some really good points in his rhetoric.

The story itself is a tragedy and beautifully laid out before the reader. I can't recommend this book enough, although it would require the reader to read the parts before this too, if you want to understand the entire situation in this story.

I can't wait to continue reading this saga. For me personally this one is right next to the original in terms of greatness. A timeless classic and a great example of just how science fiction should be, even if it only focuses on the one thing most scifi does, the Human Condition.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read God Emperor of Dune.

November 21, 2015 – Shelved (Paperback Edition)
November 21, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read (Paperback Edition)
January 1, 2018 – Started Reading
February 26, 2018 –
page 303
April 23, 2018 – Finished Reading
July 3, 2019 – Shelved as: in-collection
July 4, 2019 – Shelved as: in-collection (Paperback Edition)
July 4, 2019 – Shelved as: science-fiction (Paperback Edition)