Kinga's Reviews > The Frog Princess

The Frog Princess by E.D. Baker

Oct 15, 2011

liked it
Read from October 15 to 16, 2011

I like children's books and I am not even going to invent an excuse for reading this one. I read it because I wanted to. There.

I read it because I wanted to read a story about a princess who kisses a frog. Things went slighlty wrong and the frog prince didn't turn into a human prince, instead the princess turn into a frog.

And then they have a lot of adventures and epiphanies.

I liked how the frog prince was bent on saving and protecting the princess but somehow was always either asleep or not around when the danger struck, and the princess had to take care of herself (Bella, you look and learn). There was a lot of humour in the book (a pretend witch was called Vannabe) and no one was exceptionally pretty, people were short, had big noses, etc. And definitely no one sparkled in the sun.

On the other hand, there was a lot of bestiality in this book. I mean, human on frog action, then human and otter, there was also a hint of frog on snake thing. Apart from that, there was a prince who liked wearing women's shoes and apparently had really small feet (wink, wink). My, oh, my, just what exactly are we teaching our children?

(Don't get me started on the naked nymph).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Frog Princess.

04/27/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell Was there any frog on pig action, or have The Muppets done that one to death?

message 2: by Sarai (new)

Sarai I love that you read this for fun. <3

message 3: by KOMET (new)

KOMET This is one of the most insightful and entertaining reviews that it has been my pleasure to read this year.

message 4: by Sam (new)

Sam Thompson My 7 year old daughter has this on her tbr. I will look forward to reading it with her.

Kinga Ah, if only I had a child I could read to!

message 6: by rivka (new)

rivka Want to borrow one of mine?

Some days, I'd let you keep one of 'em. No charge.

Kinga If only you lived in London! I have been offering free baby sitting services for ages!

message 8: by rivka (new)

rivka Mine are old enough they don't need sitters anymore, but boy could I have used you a few years back! ;D

David - proud Gleeman in Branwen's adventuring party HA! You don't need to invent an excuse for reading children's stories, there is no judgement here on GoodReads! (At least, I hope not, considering I'm pushing 40 years old and still read Batman comic books!)

message 10: by Luci (new) - added it

Luci I live in London and have two small monsters who like stories (but boy monsters), but I thought you live in Poland.

Kinga Nope. Just occasionally. I generally live in London :)

message 12: by KatLynne (new)

KatLynne Nice review, Kinga. I like children's books too and there is a great selection to choose from. I do have little grands that I read to everyday and I enjoy most of the selections:)

message 13: by Rita (new)

Rita I too love a GOOD children's book, a good book for adolescents. Good ones are rare, in my opinion, and it's so exciting to discover a good writer. I recently discovered the Dutch author Guus Kuijer who writes wonderfully about 10 and 11 year olds...

message 14: by jayla (new)

jayla Kinga I cant argue with that