Katherine Coble's Reviews > A Goblin's Tale

A Goblin's Tale by Scott Straughan

Read 2 times. Last read March 2, 2021 to March 21, 2021.

4.5 stars. It's not a perfect book. But it's awfully charming, endearing and great fun.
As the title promises, it's all told from the POV of the goblin and this unusual narrative voice--in third-person limited, my FAVOURITE tense for fantasy--gives charm to what would otherwise be a commonplace fantasy outlaw story.

The only bit that kept me from placing this at a full five stars is that in the second half of the book there are a few battles/skirmishes/action pieces that all seem to drag out a bit longer than they need to. But I still wholeheartedly recommend the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Goblin's Tale.

Quotes Katherine Liked

Scott Straughan
“he had a lifetime of experience in not being eaten. He had gotten pretty good at it.”
Scott Straughan, A Goblin's Tale

January 1, 2018 – Started Reading
January 1, 2018 – Shelved
January 2, 2018 – Finished Reading
March 2, 2021 – Started Reading
March 21, 2021 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by N (new)

N Islam I don't know how relatable a story can be told from the viewpoint of a goblin. Let me know how you find it.

Katherine Coble N wrote: "I don't know how relatable a story can be told from the viewpoint of a goblin. Let me know how you find it."

Have you read The Goblin Emperor? It's awesome.

I'll keep you posted on this one.

message 3: by Simon (new)

Simon This definitely looks interesting! I have read The Goblin Emperor and loved it! Will consider putting this into my to-read list!

Katherine Coble I'd say it's similar to a book written from the POV of a Pitbull puppy. It manages to be hilarious, adorable and relatable. About halfway through it changes to the POV of a trained german shepherd combined with a cranky teenager.