B.A. Wilson's Reviews > Children of Blood and Bone

Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi

24206425

bookshelves: ya, fantasy, favorites, diversity

This story slayed me in all the ways. It’s so compelling that I want to clutch it close, in case it would try to slip away from me. I just finished the novel, and I almost want to go back and start it all over again, right now, as I’m not ready to let go of this world.

I was so captivated by this YA West-African inspired fantasy novel that I couldn’t stop reading once I started, and this is not a small book. Despite that, I still read it straight through, and wow. I just have so many wild feels that I’m not even sure I know how to write this review, but I want to write it now, while the magic and heartache is still fresh in my mind.

Things I loved and/or cried over:

--The characters and all of their uniqueness and intricacies

--The storyline and fast-paced plot, despite the length of the novel

--The captivating world and fascinating setting

--The magic system is A+, and I can’t wait to learn more about it in future novels

--The cover of the book, which is just stunning. I’m honestly obsessed with it, and I don’t know how much of the time that I spent just looking at the cover while I was listening to the book.

---The audiobook narrator: Bahni Turpin, who brings such life to the words

--The author’s note at the end of the book, which made me cry twice in just a matter of minutes

-- The title and its meaning to the story. I could reread/replay that segment right at the end over and over and over again, because it’s so perfect and gorgeous

--The ending, which really delivers, in all kinds of emotional ways

--They way 4 POVs are handled so well, and with so much unique voice that I always knew whose part of the story I was on, even when we switched between characters

--The characters names, which felt so perfect for them

--The ferocious feline beasts that I sometimes want to snuggle

--The fact that this is a debut novel, and it’s so incredible (no offense to other authors, who have also had some amazing debuts, but wow!)

--The fact that this lived up to absolutely all of the hype and it’s so easy to adore this book

--And obviously the diversity. I’m feeling pretty cheated that this is the first Nigerian inspired fantasy novel I’ve ever read, and I hope I see many more in the future. In case it’s my fault that I’ve never read one before, I’m going to go out and research this topic as soon as I finish this review, to see if there are any others that I’ve missed.

As far as I’m concerned, this book is perfection. It’s what YA fantasy novels should be. Honestly, in my opinion, it’s what all fantasy novels should be, regardless of category. And there better be more of this world heading my way in the near future. Preferably lots more.

Book 114 read in 2018

Pages: 525

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Children of Blood and Bone.

Quotes B.A. Liked

Tomi Adeyemi
“They don’t hate you, my child. They hate what you were meant to become.”
Tomi Adeyemi, Children of Blood and Bone Sneak Peek

Tomi Adeyemi
“I teach you to be warriors in the garden so you will never be gardeners in the war.”

Tomi Adeyemi
“gods are nothing without fools to believe in them.”

Tomi Adeyemi
“I’m the very monster I hunt.”

Tomi Adeyemi
“I won't let your ignorance silence my pain”

Tomi Adeyemi
“As long as we don't have magic, they will never treat us with respect. They need to know we can hit them back. If they burn our homes, we burn theirs, too.”

Tomi Adeyemi
“I begin to realise how far others will go to keep us down.”

January 1, 2018 – Shelved
January 1, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
March 15, 2018 – Started Reading
March 16, 2018 –
1.0% "I'm so excited to be starting this one!!!"
March 16, 2018 –
62.0% "This is captivating. There is just no way I can go to bed without finishing it. I don’t even know how it got this late."
March 17, 2018 – Shelved as: ya