Joyfully Jay's Reviews > On Solid Ground

On Solid Ground by Quinn Anderson

bookshelves: jay

A Joyfully Jay review.

I tend to like forced proximity kind of stories where extreme situations test our heroes and bring intensity to their relationship. So I was drawn to this book right away by the trapped in the earthquake theme and I think Anderson does a nice job with this aspect of the story. The first half or so of the book focuses on the lead up to and the aftermath of the earthquake. We see a bit of the guys going about their day at work, and then witness the earthquake and their attempts to get themselves and their co-workers to safety. Both men are heroes, helping to calm things down in the emergency and put other people’s safety before their own, only to find themselves stuck alone when another tremor hits. I found this part of the book to be well done and engaging. I was interested in following along in the escape attempts and seeing how the guys end up trapped by themselves. I will say this portion didn’t have quite the urgency or intensity I had expected, but it was still nicely done and kept my attention.

The second half of the book focuses more on the men once they are trapped and how they get to know one another better and act on their attraction. However, I will say that I found the chemistry between these guys a little flat and didn’t feel the connection the way I had hoped. I think part of this is because we are told at the start of the book how these guys have a long simmering attraction to one another and so from the beginning we are supposed to feel this connection between them that just didn’t come through for me. Toward the end, the guys even admit that they had been falling for one another even before the earthquake. But honestly, they felt like casually friendly co-workers at best, not men with an intense connection and attraction. In fact, beyond a holiday party conversation, it seems that these guys didn’t do much but exchange hellos in the hall prior to the earthquake. It wasn’t enough to make me feel that there was the real connection to them prior to the disaster that the story indicated they should have.

Read Jay’s review in its entirety here.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On Solid Ground.

Finished Reading