Lolene's Reviews > Ghostopolis

Ghostopolis by Doug TenNapel

Oct 15, 2011

liked it

Once I overcame my initial reluctance to delve into the world of graphic novels (see review of The Stonekeeper, Amulet series bk. 1), I knew I had to dive into Ghostopolis because it's one of the most popular books among the boys in my 6th grade classroom. It was brand-new last year, and it's already dog-eared and coming apart at the seams. Once again, I was pleasantly surprised. Doug TenNapel has written a story that I've never read before. A young boy, Garth Hale, gets sucked into the afterlife accidentally and the ghost-catcher who inadvertently sent him there has to go rescue him. Many strange adventures with villains and good guys, mystery and intrigue, ensue.

Here's an interesting quote from an Amazon review:
"Since this book was published through Scholastic's Graphix imprint, I thought the target audience would be kids, but I think that the storyline between Frank Gallows and Claire Voyant, the aptly-named ghost hunter and his hauntingly beautiful ex-fiance, will attract adult readers as well. More folks will certainly seek out this graphic novel when the movie version of Ghostopolis - which producer Hugh Jackman will star in - comes out."

Hugh Jackman? Eye-candy? I will be wanting to see the movie!!!

As for the art...not nearly as beautiful as the Kibuishi hand-colored art.

Am I becoming a graphic novel fan? Yikes!!! (I did bring the first of the Bone series home to check it out. Hmmmmmmmmmm.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ghostopolis.