Kelly Sedinger's Reviews > The Fifth Season

The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin

bookshelves: 2019-reads, fantasy, science-fiction

My real rating would be 4.5 stars, and the only reason I didn't round up to 5 was because I wanted to leave room for the next two books in the trilogy. This is an amazing book. Its quality is cumulative; it starts off being just "pretty good" but at some point, and I'm not exactly sure when, it became amazing. Or maybe it was amazing all along and I just needed to get through enough of it for Jemisin's plan and skill to become clear.

Her world is a fascinating one, a vast continent prone to extreme seismic events that plunge all of civilization into very long winters, and her novel follows three main plotlines as three different characters navigate that world. It soon becomes clear that these individual stories relate to each other somehow, and when we finally learn how, well--that's when the book made my jaw hit the floor. I shelved this in both Fantasy AND Science Fiction because Jemisin's world building is so rigorous, and so thoroughly grounded in real concepts, that it really does straddle that line.

Jemisin's characters resonate strongly, as ancient prejudices blind people to the needs of others in the face of catastrophe. In that regard the book is startlingly relevant.

Brilliant, brilliant book. I can only imagine what the two sequels (every book in this series won the Hugo for Best Novel) have in store.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fifth Season.

January 1, 2018 – Shelved