C.G. Drews's Reviews > The Vanishing Throne

The Vanishing Throne by Elizabeth May

bookshelves: 4-star, paranormal, read-2019, young-adult, epic-fantasy

I am genuinely exhausted right now...these books are so exhausting?? I just fought a dozen battles, and wielded a sword, and nearly died, and got yelled at by a pixie who makes nice coats, aND FELT THINGS FOR KIARAN, and afjskdlafd...this book is an adventure in chaos. So obviously I loved it.

➸ dude I like faeries. I like them a lot.
Although these continue to be a different sort of faeries to the ones I usually read (with Cassandra Clare, Holly Black, and Margaret Rogerson). I like it, but I also have questions. SO MANY QUESTIONS. The rules of their power aren't clearly defined so half the time I'm just like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. But I'm here for the Falconers finding epic power! There is war and bloodshed and history and SCOTLAND IN RUINS.

➸ Alienna continues to be vulnerable and badass, which I LOVE.
I also appreciated that we had way less of the constrictive 1800s "proper society" in this one (aka, "No Alienna! You can't walk down the hallway without a male escort! You delicate flower!") because, well, Scotland was BURNED. Actually the world was ruined. Many were sad. It was intense.

➸ Also I loved the friendship between Aileana and Aithinne!
Trauma bonding for my girls *cries* But also Aithinne was kind of mad and emotional and I LOVED HER. Also her banter/hate/love relationship with her bro, Kiaran, was also my favourite. Bring me dysfunctional siblings. I will be here for this.

➸ So there's a lot of lore and history to get through.
Lots of plot twists and uncovering of histories. There was a HUGE twist with the Seelie and Unseelie courts that had my heart beating faster. I just !!!! I do admit I struggled to keep up with a lot of it. And also the action scenes just -- whoost -- I'm never good at focusing on them. but the ending was SO INTENSE ADN EXCELLENT that it made up for a beginning that confused the heck out of me lmao.

Overall?! I am a fan of this series. The faerie aspects have caught my heart, and the death boy Kiaran vs the chaos girl falconer Aileana, are just the best. I wanted to write an analytical and careful review about the power struggles, the ptsd and trauma rep, the careful world building and the intense magic systems...BUT LOOK WHAT YOU GET: MY FEELINGS. IN A BUCKET. you're welcome.

"And you've already seen Kiaran, who is--"
"Leaving," Kiaran interrupts briskly. "My threshold for human tolerance is now exceeded. Send the pixie for me in the event I get to stab something."

The truth is we're both running from whatever fate has been decided for us. He is the faery whose gift is death and I am the girl whose gift is chaos.

Most people would be dismayed by an attempted assassination, but Kiaran seems to regard it as either flirtation or flattery -- possibly both.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Vanishing Throne.

January 1, 2018 – Shelved
January 1, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
January 14, 2019 – Started Reading
January 15, 2019 –
page 180
39.3% "I do appreciate the that first time Alieana gets out of the fey prison and sees Kiaran...she shoots him.

AW THE ADORABLE SWEETIES."
January 15, 2019 – Shelved as: 4-star
January 15, 2019 – Shelved as: paranormal
January 15, 2019 – Shelved as: read-2019
January 15, 2019 – Shelved as: young-adult
January 15, 2019 – Shelved as: epic-fantasy
January 15, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Denise (ramblingoutloud) I should so read this one. I LOVED The Falconer, but remember absolutely nothing x) Except that that Elizabeth May had ripped my heart out of my chest and stomped on it. I remember that...
And now I want to read this! Why did you have to remind me??

C.G. Drews I had to reread the first as well before going onto this one 😂 but I'm going straight onto book 3 before I forget anything!