Daniel Taylor's Reviews > The Old Man and the Sea

The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway

Oct 15, 2011

bookshelves: foundational-writing-books, 1001-books-you-must-read-b4-you-die, classics, great-books-of-the-western-world, imaginative, literature, rereads, to-read
Recommended to Daniel by: Writer's Digest
Recommended for: Anyone - it's plain, good writing

This was the first piece of writing by Ernest Hemingway that I read. Writer's Digest had created a list of classic books writers must read. For me, this book was the highlight of that list. The prose is simple. To describe the book's entire plot could take three sentences or less, but Hemingway holds you enthralled with a story that is on the surface simple, while showing insight into the human journey.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Old Man and the Sea.

January 1, 1996 – Started Reading
January 3, 2015 – Shelved as: imaginative
January 3, 2015 – Shelved as: literature
January 3, 2015 – Shelved as: rereads
March 3, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read

David Fleming I really enjoy how Hemingway ends his works and this is a prime example for me.

Gary Love this book, love Hemingway,and his other books. Been to his house in Key West. Been to his places of work as a reporter in Kansas City, Missouri. What a writer. If you have not read his short stories, that's a must. Especially" God Rest You Merry, Gentlemen." What a story!