Nicolo Yu's Reviews > Towers of Midnight

Oct 15, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy, wheel-of-time
Read in January, 2011 — I own a copy

The doom of Mat Cauthon is at hand. The penultimate chapter to the Wheel of Time epic has one the three linchpin characters face the fate foretold many books . Debts are paid at too high a price a beloved character thought long dead returns. The forces of the Dragon Reborn, the Shadow, the Aes Sedai and the Seanchan prepare to make their moves as the final chapter approaches.

As much as I am glad that the seeds planted in the preceding books have sprouted, it is the harvest that I feel wanting. Brandon Sanderson, the write handpicked by the estate of Robert Jordan to continue his unfinished saga, is at a disadvantage as the characters are not his own. True, he is an admitted huge Wheel of Time fan, but longtime readers miss the way Jordan would have written this book. It feels flat, like soda left opened for too long, the acidic bite is gone.

I admit that I really need to try a true original Sanderson work. Maybe he does it better with his characters. But in this case, I find his take on the Wheel of Time universe wanting. I still enjoyed the book, but the experience is not the same.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Towers of Midnight.

03/14/2016 marked as: read