Amanda Richardson's Reviews > Lady Evelyn's Highland Protector

Lady Evelyn's Highland Protector by Tara Kingston

"Lady Evelyn's Highland Protector" was an enjoyable romance read, but was lacking in depth considering the mysterious assassin. Evelyn is in Scotland to see her best friend get married, when she witnesses a woman trying to kill a bookseller. The bookseller presses something into Evelyn's hand before she ran for help.
Gerard is chasing said assassin and tries to convince Evelyn that she didn't really witness an attempt on this man's life. He's a spy who has been chasing this assumed female assassin for months. He runs into Evelyn on the street and then after the attempted murder. He feels guilty for lying to her, but not guilty enough to confide to her his true purpose. He believes the assassin will strike again with Evelyn as her target so he wrangles an invitation to the wedding to protect Evelyn.
I liked Gerard and Evelyn as a couple even when I was annoyed that he wouldn't tell her the truth. But the mystery and hunt for the assassin was lacking. The book is a little slow in getting Gerard and Evelyn together, lots of scene building - long dinners and conversations - I would have enjoyed a faster pace. There was some steam in the last third of the book.
Good story though, enjoyable couple, good writing but I would have enjoyed more of the mystery.

I received a complimentary copy in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lady Evelyn's Highland Protector.

Started Reading