William Stanger's Reviews > From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler

From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E.L. Konigsburg

I hadn't heard of this book before, but I needed to read a book that had won an award to finish off one of my book challenges for 2017. My daughter loaned me this one, which won the Newbery Medal in 1968. This is the 35th anniversary edition.

This is a charming little read and was an enjoyable one to finish off my reading for the year. The story is about a young girl who runs away from home with one of her brothers, but in a different way from a 'normal' runaway. They hide out in the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York and end up trying to solve a mystery behind a sculpture there. This leads them to meet the elderly Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler of the book title, who helps them with this.

Apparently this is a classic that is still widely read, which doesn't really surprise me. I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a decent read for their middle-graders.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler.

December 30, 2017 – Started Reading