K's Reviews > The Emperor's Edge

The Emperor's Edge by Lindsay Buroker

Oct 14, 2011

bookshelves: entertaining, kick-ass-female-lead, steampunk, light-and-fun, action-adventure
Read in October, 2011

Fast-paced. Fantastical. And a whole lot of Fun . (Yes, with bolding, italics, and a capital F)

The beginning worried me a little. After a few chapters with cheesy moments and some eye-rolling at names, I was afraid that this was going to be just another UF/Steampunk groan-fest. Besides, I just don't get the 'I want to redeem myself by being a good outlaw' thing. In what world would that work?! But I gave it the 'one more chapter' rule and before I knew what had happened it was 4am and I had to get ready for work! What a surprise!

The characters are engaging, larger-than-life spectacles that leap off the page in such an endearing way. The writing isn't lyrical or profound, but solid and fast-paced. The action hardly stops to let you take a breath. The banter is witty and full of one-liners. And against my better judgement, (which chastises me for enjoying a "fun" book more than a "meaningful" book) this one has completely sucked me into the series and I'm loving every moment. I care about what happens to the characters, and, to me, the next books really take the series up a notch and send the story in an edge-of-your-seat direction.

You'll probably like it if you like the fast-paced action of Snyder's The Study Series Bundle or the earnest (though wise-cracking) characters in Hearne's Druid series (Hounded).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Emperor's Edge.