Remy Sharp's Reviews > The Lives of Tao

The Lives of Tao by Wesley Chu

it was ok

The story was interesting enough, but I ended up getting frustrated with both the author's portrayal of women throughout the book (always using physical traits to describe them, like beautiful, or soft skin), and then there's an entire chapter dedicated to sexist undertones of "how women are past their prime by 30s".

Then there was Toa himself. From what I understand from the book, he was the one who imprisoned his fellow kind in turtles and the like. So why he was surprised when Zoras (name might be wrong) was utterly pissed off and wanted revenge - is…confusing at best. From what I gathered, Toa started the war himself directly by starting to enslave the other alien beings that annoyed him. So ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lives of Tao.

December 31, 2017 – Shelved
December 31, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
January 8, 2018 – Started Reading
January 14, 2018 –
43.0% "Unsure if I'm enjoying this book. Certainly Roen is a relatable character, but Tao, the main protagonist/alien/symbiotic is a bit of jerk.

Also, it's annoying me that the Sonya character is only described in adjectives along the lines of "beautiful", "hot" etc. Then competing over a woman like she's a race horse or something. Pretty crap really."
January 22, 2018 – Finished Reading