Faith's Reviews > The Line That Held Us

The Line That Held Us by David    Joy

bookshelves: publisher, netgalley, reviewed

Darl Moody accidentally shoots Carol (Sissy) Brewer while poaching deer on the property of Tillmon (Coon) Coward. Carol was poaching ginseng on Coon's property, when Darl mistook him for a wild hog. Calling the police would have been smart, but that didn't happen. Instead Darl panics and gets his best friend Calvin Hooper to help him, but their efforts wind up tearing apart not only their lives, but those of the people around them. Darl and Calvin aren't smart enough to hide from Carol's brother Dwayne, who is filled with an equal mix of grief and the desire for revenge. Dwayne has spent his whole life protecting Carol and isn't going to stop now.

What would you do if someone killed the only person you had to love in this world? How far would you go to help your best friend? Whose life means more to you? Should you spread the pain you feel or can you find redemption and end the cycle? This book makes you think about all of those questions and leaves a giant one unanswered at the end. It was brilliant.

This was my third book by this author and I'll read anything else he chooses to write. I like it that he writes southern noir with the minimum of the clichés of the genre. This book had characters with actual jobs other than meth dealer. There were no guys who spend all their time drinking beer as they ride around in their pickups, stopping occasionally to commit senseless acts of violence. Not that this book wasn't violent. It's just that I understood the motivation. Even Dwayne's, who was ultimately a tragic (though scary) figure. There are also some disgusting (non-violent) scenes that are not for the squeamish and some small animals are murdered horrifically.

I received a free copy of this book from the publisher.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Line That Held Us.

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

Diane S ☔ Terrific review, Faith. Five stars from you I seldom see!!

Carol You wrote the perfect review for this (excellent) book, Faith. I’ve been struggling with what to say for ten days or so and am in awe :)

Angela M Faith , I think I’m one of the squeamish and will skip this but glad it was a five star read for you !

Faith Carol wrote: "You wrote the perfect review for this (excellent) book, Faith. I’ve been struggling with what to say for ten days or so and am in awe :)"

Thanks Carol. I have trouble writing reviews when I love a book. All I want to say is "just read this, it's really good".

Faith Angela M wrote: "Faith , I think I’m one of the squeamish and will skip this but glad it was a five star read for you !"

It does get pretty gross at times, but it's really good.

Faith Diane S ☔ wrote: "Terrific review, Faith. Five stars from you I seldom see!!"

Thanks Diane. You're right, I tend to be a tough grader.

Carol Exactly!