Linna's Reviews > This Dark Endeavor

This Dark Endeavor by Kenneth Oppel

Oct 14, 2011

Read from October 14 to 24, 2011

Damn, I wrote up a nice detailed review and accidentally pressed the back button. :(

The gist of it that the introduction and ending are FANTASTIC, but the middle portion is the most straightforward 'fetch me three items' quest you could ever imagine. Sure there are little twists and obstacles, but it's predictable in that they'll just get the mythical item and move one to the next.

But that ending still lingers in my mind days afterward. Creepy, unsettling, but filled with just the right amount of promise of something sinister to come. The chase right before that shocking final chapter was also one of the craziest passages I've ever read-- both terrifying and exhilarating, with phenomenal writing. It's too bad that you could skip the entire bulk of the book and be left with the same impression, though.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Dark Endeavor.

10/14/2011
4.0% "I'm in love with this book already."
10/23/2011 page 265
75.0% "Wow, that was scary. and lol Henry, so useless ;P"

Sierra Abrams oooohh i love Oppel!! :D

Linna His Silverwing books are my childhood :)

Sierra Abrams I just love the Matt Cruise trilogy. Never got into Silverwing cuz I don't love books about animals. But I've considered trying them because I just love Oppel. haha! :)

Linna I've actually never read those books yet. For shame, I'll get to that soon :P

message 5: by Eden (new)

Eden Oooh, more Kenneth Oppel! I can see the middle being exactly the way you described it, but I'm still picking this up for the ending. :)

Linna It was insane/creepy/cliffhanger-y in a really really awesome way :D