Melanie's Reviews > Skin Heat

Skin Heat by Ava Gray

Oct 14, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: ava-gray, contemporary, paranormal-romance, rom-suspense, hey-look-what-i-can-do, genetically-engineered, library, badass-hero, kidnapped
Read on October 14, 2011

3-3.5 stars.... :(
What happened????? I was enjoying this series so much, but this took a bit of a nose dive IMO. It seemed there was a real disconnect between the storyline of this book and the two previous books in Gray's Skin series - mainly because we don't have much background on the characters and we've been left hanging with what's going on with Taye and Gillie.... In my mind, this story would have been better shortened as a novella (you know - a Skin 2.5 or something).
In this book we meet Zeke, one of the escapees from the research facility that featured prominently in Skin Tight. Like Kyra and Søren, Zeke's been altered, although his gifts appeared after he was abducted and experimented on by the Foundation, so he's pretty disjointed and disoriented when he re-emerges in the town where he grew up. Pretty backwards and soft spoken, he gets a job at a vet clinic run by a former crush and, well, the two obviously hook up. Their 'interludes' (once they start) are pretty hot, but the dialogue between the two is pretty stilted - mostly because his vocabulary consists of non-committal grunts, ain't's, and 1-2 word sentences. So the story mainly deals with him readjusting, them getting intimate, and, oh yeah, there's a serial killer on the loose to liven things up a bit.
Hopefully, things will get back on track in Skin Dive when we finally learn what happens with Taye and Gillie.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Skin Heat.