Megan ~The Never Ending Book Basket's Reviews > American King

American King by Sierra Simone

Read 2 times. Last read December 30, 2017.

So let me tell you about this book.

This book eviscerated me. This book owned me mind, body, and soul through every single page. This book consumed me on the deepest of levels, to the point that I physically felt so much of it. This book astounded me, it wowed me, it completely changed the game. This book pushed me, it pulled me, it made me question and wonder and think and feel, and along the way it allowed me to know in the deepest part of my heart that I would never forget what it was giving me.

This book was everything. E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G.

It was the perfect conclusion to trilogy and series that is truly in a league of its own. It was equally emotional, visceral, intense and raw in the most all-feeling of ways, while it had a scorching heat and love coursing through it in the most unforgettable manner. From start to finish this book, these characters, and this series took ahold of me with all that they had, and in the end they laid it all on the line. Their hearts, their lives, their livelihoods, and every feeling they had for one another. This series highlighted their fights, their determination and tenacity, their pitfalls and every step of the way in between. It gave me their characters, their meticulously interwoven stories, and their breathtakingly emotional journey to finding one another.

To say that this book and this series gave me it all is the understatement of the century. It is hands down one of the best series I have ever had the pleasure of reading, and in the end it gave me one of the most unforgettable and unique love stories I have EVER read. This series was a take on King Arthur's tale, and what I got within its pages with Ash, Greer, and Embry blew me away. It took ahold of my heart, my thoughts, my feelings, and every part of me as I experienced their love and pain and anguish.

Getting what I did with them was so honest and real and authentic, and even though I myself have never experienced the level of love that these three characters share, Sierra Simone's exceptional writing let me feel as if I have. That's what made this series what it was. Her writing. Her characters and the way she so thoughtfully crafted every word of this book and series. She made it all mean more. She brought it all to life more. She made it so real, so tangible, so unadulterated and visceral and intense at times, and yet at the end of the day, she made these characters so beyond easy to love and to root for. I can't say that enough.

I won't tell you anything about what actually happens plot wise in this book because that would be so wrong. What I will say that if you have read the first two books in this series, then this final book will fit right in with those two. It will push you right along with these characters. It'll push you physically and emotionally and mentally. It'll have you living and breathing and feeling every ounce of this story, and it'll have you beyond encapsulated in every word. American King is the third leg of the tripod. It's Ash's story, but just as much it's Embry and Greer's story too. It's all of them. It's their love, their fight, every ounce of feeling and pain and emotion they share, and it's the final piece to the puzzle and their story.

The way Sierra Simone so perfectly weaves together this last peace, with the most phenomenal balance of past and present to give you the final pieces will literally take your breath away. This book and everything these characters give you in it will give you that last piece to this epic story of the love Greer, Ash, and Embry share. It will take you far and wide, it'll show you things you'd never expect, and in the end it will give you the most epic and amazing conclusion that will give you everything you didn't even know you needed. And through it all you will love and feel and just emanate in what you get with these characters.

I truly can't say enough what this book and this series gave me. I finished this book with tears in my eyes for a lot of reasons. After I finished it, I felt pummeled in a way like my heart had been through the wringer and like I had run the most exhausting yet exhilarating marathon, and yet I have never felt so damn good when finishing a book. I loved how much this book owned and consumed me because that was just another thing showing me how exceptional this story was. This book and this series hurt me, moved me, made me cry and laugh and blush and melt more times than I could count, and in the end it told the story of three. Three loves, three hearts, and three people whose destiny is impeccably intertwined in the most extraordinary of ways.

Simply put, this book will give you everything and you will be damn glad you read it. I know I am. I truly don't know what I would have done if I didn't read these books. I can tell you without a doubt in my mind that I would have been missing out on the most exceptional story if I hadn't read these books. What Ash and Greer and Embry so amazingly gave me in this story was everything. It was them, it was real, it was Arthur esque in the most incredible way, and through every word it captivated me.

Getting the final piece to this story, getting to finally be in Ash's head, and getting to be with these characters once more was everything I needed. That man is king, and his queen and his prince make up the most beautiful, alluring, and visceral puzzle that I will never forget. I felt every lick of their story, and even when it hurt, and even when it took my breath away with how intense it was, I loved it because I was living it right along with them and I could not have asked for more.

American King was the perfect conclusion to this trilogy. I finished it hours ago and I can't stop thinking about it, the ending it gave me, and the journey these 3 characters took along the way. This is one of the best series I have ever read, and this was one of the best endings I have ever read in a book. It gave me everything, and pulled the meaning and power and heat and connection of this series to a close in the most fitting way.

It truly gave me it all.

I can't say that enough. This book was everything. I could keep saying it, and it wouldn't come close to showing you how true it is. With its intense and all feeling heat and emotion and connection, this series was an extraordinary story of love and sacrifice and loyalty. It was a story of Greer, Embry, and Ash. It was a story of three, in which all parts were needed to feel whole, and in the end it was a story of just how far you're willing to go for the ones you love.

American Prince is one of the greatest books I've read, and it is one you need in your life. Trust me. You need these characters, you need their love, and you need everything they give you. And as I sit here writing this review, while still feeling so encapsulated in their love and journey and connection and tangible fire, all I can think is long live the queen, long live the prince, and long live the mother effing king.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read American King.

Quotes Megan Liked

Sierra Simone
“I will always be your husband and your king and your master, and it doesn’t matter who I let you fuck, you’ll always belong to me, understood?”

Sierra Simone
“There’s something quite thrilling about fucking a woman in a ball gown. It’s like having a secret that no one else knows, a sin that no one else can see.”

Sierra Simone
“I can’t tell what’s the best way to love you, whether it’s trying to catch you or to let you go.”

Sierra Simone
“Here’s what I think, little prince. Here’s what I know— and you know it too. You don’t need to call me Sir to submit to me, and I don’t need you to kneel to know that you’re my possession.”

Sierra Simone
“He looked up at me with the whole world in his eyes, and then he sighed.
“You’re doing the dimple thing again. It’s evil.”

“I see the beginning.
And I see the end.”

Sierra Simone
“Perhaps Embry’s always had the part of me that wielded the sword, but she… she’s always owned the part that wears the crown.”

Sierra Simone
“And right there on the soft grass, in the warm sunlight, our three hearts beat as one once again and we share every breath, every kiss, every single drop of our love.
Equal and alive.
Three.”

Sierra Simone
“Every time you gave me your trust, your obedience, and your surrender. Every time you fought me knowing you would lose, every time you carried me when I couldn’t limp along myself, and every breath and kiss you ever shared with me—it was all you saying yes, every moment of it. You’ve said yes to me so many times I’m surprised I could even hear the word no.”

Sierra Simone
“I can’t lose my heart to save my soul. But, I must. I have to. Even though, for once, I take no pride in the pain it will cause me. - Ash”

Sierra Simone
“How do they not hear the trickle of my heart’s blood dripping out of my chest, how do they not see the scooped-out pain in my eyes, how can they not hear every desperate plea and every rasping sob I’ve let out in the last twenty-four hours?”

Sierra Simone
“I will love her until the stars burn themselves out and hang like cold rocks in the lightless sky.”

Sierra Simone
“I am the leaf skating across the pond again, simply blowing where her words take me, and I can just watch with exhilarating clarity how much she enjoys”

Sierra Simone
“She was formed for sunshine and pleasure, but fuck if darkness and pain don’t look beautiful on her—”

Sierra Simone
“I hug him. I close my eyes, press my face into his already strong and heavy shoulder, and I thank God for this unexpected grace. This undeserved mercy. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.”
Sierra Simone, American King

December 28, 2017 – Started Reading (Kindle Edition)
December 28, 2017 – Shelved (Kindle Edition)
December 29, 2017 – Finished Reading (Kindle Edition)
Started Reading