Chelsea Humphrey's Reviews > Peter Pan

Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie

47207032

did not like it
bookshelves: library

Oh boy. I'm not sure what to say other than I cannot think of one aspect I enjoyed about this book. I tend to gravitate toward dark, disturbing, and twisted stories (what does that say about me???), but this was just sad with no pay off. Each page felt like a chore to get through and I didn't even find the illustrations redeeming. I'm clearly in the minority, but I may have possibly been bit by the old "heard the story so many times that the original feels like a rip off" bug. Definitely not my cup of tea and I shall choose to bury my head in the sand and pretend this version does not exist. ;) The only reason I didn't DNF this was A) I'm trying my hardest to finish all my popsugar books if possible and B) I try not to DNF books under 200 pages if possible. Rant is over and now I'll move on to the next read!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Peter Pan.

Finished Reading
December 30, 2017 – Shelved
January 15, 2018 –
page 112
63.64% "I decided to put this one down for the night instead of powering through and finishing; I’m just not enjoying this like I thought I would. ☹️"

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)

message 1: by Mel (new)

Mel There’s no statute of limitations on reading books.

Halle It's never too late! I just read The Little Prince for the first time in my life, as a 28 year old woman!

Chelsea Humphrey Halle wrote: "It's never too late! I just read The Little Prince for the first time in my life, as a 28 year old woman!"

Melissa wrote: "There’s no statute of limitations on reading books."

Thank you so much!! 🤗

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ I just read it last year Chels! & honestly I didn't really love it. Hope you like it more!

Chelsea Humphrey Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ wrote: "I just read it last year Chels! & honestly I didn't really love it. Hope you like it more!"

Omg Mary I’m so glad you said something. I’m really not loving it and was worried it was just me as this seems to be such a beloved classic. ☹️

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah I don't know that I'll ever read this one. I read the backstory behind it and it's just so sad. I'll never look at Peter Pan the same again :(.

message 7: by Hannah (new)

Hannah I tried to read Barrie's "Tommy and Grizel" and his writing style is definitely unusual.

Chelsea Humphrey Sarah wrote: "I don't know that I'll ever read this one. I read the backstory behind it and it's just so sad. I'll never look at Peter Pan the same again :(."

It’s so true!!!

Amber It's a pretty good read. My fave Peter Pan version is the one Brom wrote called The Child Thief but its a darker take than the original Peter Pan. definitely check it out.

Chelsea Humphrey Amber wrote: "It's a pretty good read. My fave Peter Pan version is the one Brom wrote called The Child Thief but its a darker take than the original Peter Pan. definitely check it out."

Oo Amber I’m really interested in that! Thanks for sharing. 🤗

message 11: by Andrew (new) - added it

Andrew I know the story, but I have to admit I never read it. I should learn from you, Chelsea and put it on top of my tbr list. :)

Chelsea Humphrey I’ll definitely let you know my final thoughts Andrew!

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Oh no hon I felt exactly the same!! I was just like "😬😬😬 gee this is weird & not the magical adventure I thought it'd be." I'm so sorry you're also not liking it but we at least are kindred spirits!

Chelsea Humphrey Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ wrote: "Oh no hon I felt exactly the same!! I was just like "😬😬😬 gee this is weird & not the magical adventure I thought it'd be." I'm so sorry you're also not liking it but we at least are kindred spirits!"

*hugs* solidarity in numbers right?! 😂

message 15: by Brooke (new) - added it

Brooke Ashley Have you read Tiger Lily? It’s a spin on Neverland.

Chelsea Humphrey Brooke wrote: "Have you read Tiger Lily? It’s a spin on Neverland."

I have not!

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Oh Chelsea! I'm sorry I keep hopping on your Peter Pan status - but if you'd ever like to Buddy Read Tiger Lily it's been on my list for Agessss now! ☺️

Chelsea Humphrey Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ wrote: "Oh Chelsea! I'm sorry I keep hopping on your Peter Pan status - but if you'd ever like to Buddy Read Tiger Lily it's been on my list for Agessss now! ☺️"

Please, hop away! I would love to do a buddy read of Tiger Lily! 🤗🤗🤗

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Haha awesome! I'll PM you! 😘

message 20: by Mike (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mike Some stories just don't age well. Heck, even Friends hasn't aged well and that went off the air less than 15 years ago.

Chelsea Humphrey Mike wrote: "Some stories just don't age well. Heck, even Friends hasn't aged well and that went off the air less than 15 years ago."

That’s true! I guess I must have pissed off Goodreads with my opinion since it won’t add this to my 2018 challenge. 😂😜

message 22: by Rae (new)

Rae Meadows Yes, Chelsea, I agree. I tried to read this to my daughter but quit quickly.

Chelsea Humphrey Rae wrote: "Yes, Chelsea, I agree. I tried to read this to my daughter but quit quickly."

I’m so glad it’s not just me!

message 24: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Try Lost Boy: The True Story of Captain Hook for a twist on the story. It is from Captain Hook's point of view and I really enjoyed it as it is a bit darker than Peter Pan.

Rebecca Timberlake For some reason I just can't figure out how to read it tbh. If someone could tell ms that would be great because I don't know much about this app.

Rebecca Timberlake Thanks!

Hafsat Shehu Danmusa please how do i download books i don't know much about Amazon (kindle).I watched the film but i want to read and understand .
I read your review it is so nice.

message 30: by Musicaloutsider (new)

Musicaloutsider Perhaps you read an abridged version?