Siv's Reviews > And Every Morning the Way Home Gets Longer and Longer

And Every Morning the Way Home Gets Longer and Longer by Fredrik Backman

This novella is imperfect, patchy and broken, and so lovely because of it. The author comments that he wrote it to personally process life's big questions, never intending to send it forth in the world. The world is better for his having chosen to let it go.

As Grandpa comes to the end of his life, as his brain stops working, son Ted and grandson Noah (or "Noahnoah"--because Grandpa "likes his grandson's name twice as much as everyone else's") look for ways to help Grandpa ease into Space. Meanwhile, we see Grandpa and Noah, and Grandpa and Grandma (who has preceded her husband into Heaven), enjoying time together inside Grandpa's Square, the place of memories inside his brain. The Square gets smaller every day, while the road home gets longer. Ted and Noah have the sweet privilege of walking the long road home with Grandpa.

I don't often reread books, since there are So Many Books, but I can foresee myself rereading this short gem. So many insights into life, love, and death. A sweet, perfectly imperfect last read of the year.

One bit of Grandpa's wisdom: "The only time you've failed is if you don't try once more" (29).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read And Every Morning the Way Home Gets Longer and Longer.

Started Reading