Vanessa's Reviews > Why We Sleep: The New Science of Sleep and Dreams

Why We Sleep by Matthew Walker

bookshelves: non-fiction

I am obsessed with learning about sleep, and sleep hygiene. I will read article after article on the topic, even if it's just regurgitating the same old stuff. It just feels calming to me. Despite that though, I'm quite bad at practicing what I preach (to my husband and anyone else who will listen).

This book is anything but calming however. In fact, it will put the fear of god into you. It is however the most informative text I have ever read on the topic of sleep and dreams, and I believe it will have a genuine effect on how I go about prioritising sleep from now on.

It can be a touch dry at times, particularly in the first few chapters, but it is at the same time utterly fascinating. The amount of facts I have regurgitated to family and friends while reading this book is ridiculous. I drank up the knowledge this book gave me, the crazy research experiments, the humour that Matthew Walker exhibits. And often I gave into sleep after reading only a few pages at a time - not because I was bored mind you, but because the author gave me permission to. And that is amazing, and something I should give into more often in the future.

Well worth a read if you have any interest at all in one of the most basic and necessary of human functions.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Why We Sleep.

December 30, 2017 – Shelved
December 30, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
December 30, 2017 – Shelved as: non-fiction
June 11, 2018 – Started Reading
June 15, 2018 –
page 56
July 9, 2018 –
page 107
29.72% "This book is equal parts fascinating/educational and depressing."
July 18, 2018 –
page 193
August 7, 2018 –
page 219
August 7, 2018 –
page 237
August 10, 2018 –
page 300
83.33% "I've been reading this since the beginning of June - the end is in sight!"
August 11, 2018 – Finished Reading